Monday, September 3, 2007

Sea Monkey Troubles

Remember when I told you I was growing my own Sea Monkeys? And then they started to hatch? Well, I have a little bit of bad news to report about my Sea Monkeys. I hope you will not think poorly of me when you learn this. I am a little bit sad. See, the directions say:
DO NOT OVERFEED. Overfeeding is the most common reason for Sea Monkey deaths! Cloudy green water means too much uneaten food. This uneaten food consumes oxygen and causes the Sea Monkeys to suffocate, the poor little things. Better to have skinny and healthy Sea Monkeys than an overfed one in a coma.
So, I was trying to be a responsible pet owner and follow directions. But look! Some of my Sea Monkeys died!!! That black speck is the body of one of my Sea Monkeys. I guess he will have a burial at sea. I do not know if I fed them too much or too little. Or maybe I did not aerate them enough.
I have only four pets remaining. Do you want to know their names? Number 1 is called Jeter, because he likes to do funny things and he is always laughing and laughing. Number 2 is named Sarge Charlie. Charlie is a brave Sea Monkey, and patriotic, too. Number 3 is named Skeezix. Notice how he is very muscular? And he likes to hang out by the pink accessories. Sea Monkey number 4 is named Sophie. She is still a young Sea Monkey, but she is very sweet.
Here is an aerial view of my pets. See them frollicking in the surf?
My Sea Monkey manual also says that sad days may happen. If all the Sea Monkeys die, you can let the water evaporate and then add more water again until new babies hatch. I guess Sea Monkeys believe in reincarnation.

I decided I will have to watch my pets much more closely. Because I do not want any more of them to have to be reincarnated.
I also want to tell you that the official Cats Exclusive website is open. If you go there, you can read all about their Cat Show in October! The website is different than their blog. If you go to the Cats Exclusive Blog today, you can read all about Pierre. He is one of my Mommie's favorite cats, and he recently had a surgery on one of his eyes. Pierre is a very friendly, outgoing and wonderful cat. We sure hope he gets a home soon!

Share/Bookmark

51 Notes for Daisy:

Anonymous said...

You're not a bad pet owner! It's sad, but these things happen. By the way, what on earth are sea monkeys? And when you said they reincarnate - what is going on?! Are they real? What do they grow from? I'm so confused! :D

Just Sharlene and the Spice Cats said...

Hahaha...i practically put my face on my monitor to look at the sea monkeys. Am still confused! What are they ?

Poppy Q said...

Daisy that was funny - fat ones in a coma hahahah

I liked your driving lesson too. Daisy you rule the cat world. We should make you a queen.

Starbuck and Torrey said...

I LOVE sea monkeys! I try to have at least 1 tank in my classroom every year (I teach third grade). The only problem in Hong Kong is that they are readily available in the wet market - hundreds in a plastic bag for just a few pennies! So some of my kids think I'm a little nuts. My kids love them all the same - it's more fun using the kits and the funky tanks.

Parker said...

I hope the rest of your sea monkeys make it! I will visit Pierre too!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

I'm sorry to hear that one of your Sea Monkeys died, Daisy, but I'm sure you are a good pet owner. Sometimes pets die, despite doing everything right.

Unknown said...

What is the life expectancy of a Sea Monkey? Maybe you didn't do anything wrong, Daisy! We know you are a dutiful pet owner, and that your SM are in good hands!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Well, it appears that you take very good care of your sea monkeys are are aware of the cautions such as overfeeding. We think you are a great sea monkey mommie.

We hope you have a very happy day today Daisy and give hugs to Pixie!!

Monty Q. Kat said...

I wouldn't feel bad about your Sea Monkey, Daisy. Sometimes it just kinda happens.

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

yes daisy ...
upon biggificashun i wuz, indeed, able to see yer sea monkeyz ...
an one uv dem iz named jeter! i wuz jumpin up an down! a sea monkey named fer me (an da grate derek jeter, hizself, i'm sure)
yer a eksellent pet owner an caregiver.
luv--jh

Jimmy Joe said...

I think you are a very responsible pet owner, Daisy, because Sea Monkeys are very sensitive and delicate. I can tell that the four sea monkeys you have now are very comfortable.
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

The Devil Dog said...

Dear Daisy, I am sure it was nothing you did. If you had over fed the sea monkeys, they ALL would have died, not just one. He probably sick to begin with.

Roxy

Icon Baxter Bentley said...

Hello Daisy and Pixie!
I do not think you are a bad pet owner just because a Sea Monkey died. What is their average life span?
I hope the rest do well and do not need to be reincarnated.

purrs and headbutts,
Icon

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

We are so sorry for the loss of your little sea monkey. We never heard of them and wonder if they have lake monkeys, since we don't live by the sea. The little house they live in is so cute!

Laila and Lilly

Mickey's Musings said...

Sea monkeys? Giess I'll have to wait 'till the next batch grows up a bit.(good luck)Mom tried to explain but I need to see for myself. Mickey

Anonymous said...

Well you are obviously watching your sea monkeys very closely now. It's too bad about the one, but I'm sure nature will take care of it as it does us all. Maybe it had already laid it's eggs and it was time for it to die? You are looking lovely today by the way.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

We always learn how to pet from the actual experience. That's ok if you did not so well at the first time. I think you do the best you can~!!!

If I were you, I have no ability to pet Sea Monkeys~!

Unknown said...

I am glad that when My Lady overfeeds me, I do not die! I can eat and eat and eat and eat and I continue to live. Us cats are resilient.

Daisy said...

Henry, you are right. Cats are much better than Sea Monkeys in that way.

Dma said...

Sounds like you are doing your best to give your sea monkeys a good home. I am curious what makes one sea monkey sweeter than another sea monkey.

Lux said...

I sure am glad you put arrows on that one picture because I was having trouble finding the little creatures! I'm sorry you lost some of them, but I know you're doing your best.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i try not to have favorites daisy but i think i luf sea monkey number two the best. he is furry brave and cute too...

smiles, auntie bee

Boy said...

Woah Daisy! Thanks for your advice! I must wemember not to overfeed mine monkeys!
I think you're a gweat sea monkey owner because you do take good care of them. Sometimes unfortunate things just happen.

Tyler said...

Oh Daisy, please don't think of yourself as a bad pet owner. Like everyone else who commented here, I agree that it sounds like you did your very best to take care of them. The fact that you have four living sea monkeys is amazing to me. When I biggified the picture, I REALLY COULD SEE THEM. I didn't think I ever would see them really, BUT I DID. Thank you.

Hot(M)BC said...

Like everyone said, you're not a bad pet owner. Sometimes sad things just happen. It's great you're learning how to take care of them even better.
Purrrrrs,
your bud Pepi

Skeezix the Cat said...

Wow, yer rite! Skeezix the See Munkey IS muscular!! Can yoo dress him up in kyoot owtfits???

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

We think sea monkeys must be delicate kreechurs. When an aminul is delicate dey is hard to keep alive. Da fakt dat yoo have four of dem dat is helthy sez alot about yoor capabilutees.

Tiger Lily said...

You're not a bad pet owner Daisy. These things just happen and you still have 4 that are doing very well. Thank you for telling us about Pierre.

Mo and The Purries said...

While the package says the sea monkeys like sun, I'd keep them out of direct Florida sunshine -- too hot.
You'll cook the little monkeys!

Anonymous said...

We are really sorry about some of your sea monkeys. Hopefully the ones that are left will be okay. We do not think you are a bad pet owner Daisy, since this is your first time with sea monkeys.

HRH Yao-Lin said...

daisy I am sad to hear some of your pet monkeys have crossed over but it does sound like their kind believe in reincarnation so I think all will be right with them.

xx

MaoMao said...

Oh Daisy, don't feel bad -- I think you are furry good at takin' care of yur sea monkeys! I'm sorry some of 'em died but it sounds like you've got some furry sweet ones and I hope they live a long, long time! And I love their names, hehehe!

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

The M's said...

Do not think that you are a bad pet owner, we had some die when we had them too.

Anonymous said...

Awww, Daisy, my momma says to please not worry. She had sea monkeys when she was little, and some of them, regrettably, do die quickly. But how fascinating about Sea Monkey Reincarnation! You are learning a great deal about your little pets, and you are a wonderful caretaker.

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn!

Dobby said...

Oh my goodness! So much drama among the sea monkeys! I'm sorry that some died but I do like the names of the other ones. They are very cute.

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

How sad for your soon-to-be-reincarnated Sea Monkeys. You mustn't overfeed the remaining four. Mom has fish at school an' she only feeds them two or three times a week ... They've been alive for YEARS.

DMM

Team Tabby said...

We know you tried your best, Daisy, so don't be sad. We don't know what they are. Perhaps, you will get a bigger picture of your Sea Monkeys sometime.

Moe & Mindy

Anonymous said...

I have learned a lot from you, Daisy. If I ever try to hatch sea monkeys I will watch them carefully and not overfeed them. And if I ever get the impulse to drive a car, I will lie down until it goes away. :-)

Bogdan, the editor said...

I have a story for you, Daisy. Did I already tell you that I used to have Sea Monkeys? Well, anyway, I did. And me and the Man took care of them. They were happy and healthy until they were left in the Investor's care. The Man had to go away for a few days ... and she killed them!! She tried to replace them quickly so the Man wouldn't notice. But I told the Man on her. "She killed my Sea Monkeys!" So, see? You are taking good care of your Sea Monkeys. Just don't let my Investor near them.

Peach Man said...

Don't worry Daisy, you gotta be very responsible and attentive to have pets. Sometimes you just can't pay attention--the lizards call you!

P-Man

The Furry Fighter said...

aw Daisy i am sorry to hear that two of your pets passed away. crap happens though and I am sure that they got avery warm welcome from all the cats at the Bridge...they kind of look like shrimps so I reckon they may have been VERY popular with the cats at the Bridge.

if you need me to babysit your monkeys some time i'd be happy too...they sure do look like shrimps...
xxx

Sarge Charlie said...

Well now Miss Daisy, I am totally impressed with your choice of names for sea monkey #2. Maybe we can him a little uniform since he is so brave.

TheSlyCat said...

I think you're doing great with your seamonkeys. I'm not sure, but I think I see another one by the green shorts dude. It's on the foot on the left side of the picture. Is that a fifth one?!?!?!?!? I hope so, because I think you are a great pet owner and it would be great if there was another one to enjoy being your pet!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We didn't know what Sea Monkeys wuz so we got mum to Google it furr us. We know it wuzn't yer fault one died cuz yoo haf grate nursing skills. We are furry inchrestid to see how the uvvers grow.

The Misadventures Of Me said...

Boy sea monkeys look hard to raise, so yous are doings a good job so far Daisy! Mommy says they are hard to care for cuz the big man beans cant's even make thems live.

Cats Exclusive said...

'eeyyy Daisy!!

This is Pierre. Thank you for your support! I can't wait to get my stitches out! OH and SEA MONKIES!!!!! aww poor monkies....i wish i can have a tank of those!!!!!!

Your Friend,
Pierre from Cats Exclusive

Milton said...

I think you are doing a great job! As a farmer I know that not every plant makes it,I get sad when a plant dies too. But its all part of the cycle of life.
---Beezer

christy said...

i fink our mom is going to have to get us some sea monkeys. 'specially since our fish ate each other.
hopefully we can take care of them as well as you are taking care of yours!

xo-Pippin & Turtle

Forty Paws said...

Poor Daisy! We're sorry that 2 of your sea monkeys bit the big ocean. You're a very diligent pet owner and since the directions said to expect this, we're sure this is a normal cycle of SMs.

Did your Mommy design the Cats Exclusive web site? It is very nice indeed!

Luf, Us

Dr Tweety of da Fab Five said...

Daisy-


You iz soo lucky to have dose monkee tings. I tink da Fab five shud order some from da comix book, but momee won't bring any home. where did you get dese?

Gretchen said...

Oh, I finally know the outcome of the sea monkeys. Thank goodness yo still have four. I like their names...

Okay...talk to you later. It was fun catching up.

Hugs...G

Related Posts with Thumbnails