Thursday, February 26, 2009

What's in Your Pocket?

Oh, hi! I am upside-down to tell you about some interesting cat trivia. I first learned about this special part when I was reading a comment from my Cornish Rex friends at Curlz and Swirlz. I'll show you what I am talking about...
Do you know what this little pocket in my ear is called? It is called "Henry's pocket." It's the little pocket of skin on the side of the pinna (ear flap). Can you see it?
Here's a close-up of my Henry's pocket. I have frizzled-y furs inside my ears! I wish my pocket were a little bit bigger so I could carry stuff in there. Besides wax, I mean.
Harley wants to show off his Henry's pocket now. Can you see it?
His pocket is pink!
Okay, I'm all done discussing Henry's pocket. I think I will take a nap now. Go check for your own Henry's pocket!
ps: LOOK! As a friend pointed out, Harley has a baby birdie in his ear!

Share/Bookmark

92 Notes for Daisy:

Anonymous said...

T for the info. Daisy, I never knew that's what that was called and will share about this in my "Things I Learned" post tomorrow at www.zemeks.blogspot.com with a link back here. I just thought it was a tear on the ear an didn't realize all cats have this.

Anonymous said...

We'll check straight away Daisy!


2 seconds later:

YES! Pockets ... we have 'em!

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Very interesting, Daisy! What would we do without you?

Your Pals,
Tom and Tama-Chan

Duni said...

That was interesting! Strange name for it though...Henry?
Love that pink pillow!!!

Bae Bae said...

That's so cool Daisy. I didn't know you kitties have pockets before this

~ Bae

Motor Home Cats said...

We wonder who Henry is, and why he is putting his pockets on all of our ears.

Tavi, Cody, Camie and Miss Jade

Anonymous said...

I thinsk girl pockets should be called Henrietta pockets :)
How could such a sweet little miss as yourself have someting with a mans name? :))

V-V

Mommy Jes said...

ahh thats so cute!!!! love your site!!! =) visit mine sometime =)

Poppy Q said...

Ohhh my mum is chasing me around the house, trying to look at my pocket. Leave me alone mum, I don't have jeans on, or any pockets!!

Parker said...

I checked and all of us have them! I wonder who Henry was...

Cat with a Garden said...

Those pockets have names?! How cool is that!

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Hey Daisy, we all haf dem pockets! Now mommy knows what to call dem instead of "flappies". Of course, looking in Speedy's ear meant dat mom saw wax and now we'z all gonna get our ears cleaned...

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We didn't know our ear flaps were called Henry's pockets. We thought they were for keeping dirt in when we roll in the gravel.

Luzinha said...

Daisy!? I'm goingo to see the Henry's pocket of my cats and later I public the pics on the Black, ok?

I loved your pink pillow! so cute!

kisses for you all!

The Florida Furkids said...

We never knew what they were called - thanks for the educational post!! We think your frizzled-y furs are cute

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Forever Foster said...

Hahaha when mum first brought Fui home, she thought his ears were broken. She's not the smartest cookie in the box!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We didn't have a clue about Henry's pocket, we shall go look for ours now. Wonder if Fenris has one................I (Scylla) shall look into that.

~Scylla, Charybdis, Socks & Fenris

Ramses said...

Very interesting Daisy, though I must say I spent much of my time looking at your comfy little pink bed and wondering if it's as soft and warm as the kittens' bed. Now that's good!

Slash and Bronzy said...

Aaaaahhhh... so that's what it's called. Now my mommy feels so clefer knowing that. Thank you!!!

~Slash

The Island Cats said...

Wow we learned something new today! But who's Henry that the pocket was named after???

We think you have furry cute ears, Daisy!

Anonymous said...

My kitty, Easley King, has them. I had never noticed them on my other kitties and thought it was just something rare. I decided to google it because I want to know what they're for. Your post was the first thing that came up...couldn't find anything else, though.

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

I am curious about this Henry fellow. Did he sneak secret messages to Allie Troops during the war in his cats ear flaps?

Very interesting....

Sweet Purrfections said...

Wow! That's prett interesting! I go and check for my Henry's pocket immediately.

2 seconds later: Yep! Under all of the floof, I have them!

Misha said...

I learnt that from Curlz & Swirlz the other day, too!

I can't fit much in my Henry's Pocket - I find my primordial pouch to be much more useful.

i beati said...

Daisy you are a veritable font of knowledge and how much smarter I am now!!Thanks

Barb said...

Your blanket looks very comfy, Daisy! And very pink, of course!

Mom always wondered what that flap was called! Now we'll have to Google it to see how it got that name!

-Gandalf and Grayson

Mickey's Musings said...

Gee,we did not know there was a name for our ear pockets :o
I guess Henry was the first to discover them,;)
WE agree it's too bad we cannot store treats in there ,heehee
Purrs Mickey,Georgia & Tillie

Unknown said...

Who is this Henry guy? And why didn't they call them Harry Pockets, because that would be more accurate! So when we scratch our ears, are we pick-pocketing ourselves?

I must go examine Petey and see where's he's hiding his pockets. (It's his birthday today - he's 6!)

Your pal,

Mica

Honey P. Sunshine said...

who iz henry?

Anonymous said...

I don't know who Henry is but he gave me pockets that are black AND pink! I've got tortie-pockets!

jane

The Meezers or Billy said...

wow!! we's gonna check out each other's henry's pocket.


then maybe rassle ofur who's is bigger

Dma said...

who is henry and why do you two have his pockets?

JD at I Do Things said...

Thanks you, Daisy and Harley for showing off your pockets!

I've seen Gus and Pru's pockets, but I never knew the name.

Now I will take a closer look and see if I can fit something in them.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Mine are just like Harley's.
Aren't that strange?
hahahaha~~~~
I have pocket, too. Pink + white one!

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

We did not know about Henry's Pocket. You teach us very interesting things, Daisy!
~ The Bunch

The Creek Cats said...

Daisy, we always learn so much from you!!

Cory said...

So now my mom is checking out all of our ears...I said it's not Henry's pocket...it's Cory's pocket...if it's mine then it should be named after me.

Anonymous said...

Wow, we never knew what that little thingie was called. I am going to go and look at mine right now. Thanks for the info Daisy!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Oh Daisy, besides being a supermodel, you are a teacher, too! Since Teri's a vet tech, she knows all kinda stuff, but hardly anyone knew those folds had a name, til she showed everyone at work the book she learned it from!

We all giggled, even at the cat hospital where Teri works, about this blog today, especially the funny comments...Teri's favorite was Tortie pockets, like something you'd see on jeans, MOL.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Our Mom was raised in teh country ans they called them flea traps. They always checked there for fleas and ticks. Yuck! Welike Henery's pockets better! THanks for the education!

Kaltsas Kats said...

We always wondered what those things were called. Now mom is looking to see if they have a purpose. Thanks for purring and praying for our Dad. We just have to be strong and we'll get through it.
-Patches and Nemo

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i looked and looked, i don't think i have one. i looked in sarge's ear too and i don't think he has one either. what's up with that? are we weird or what?

smiles, auntie bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Never knew, never heard of Henry's pocket. Why does someone named Henry have a pocket on "my" ears?

And what would it be for anyway? Like you said, its not big enough to even carry a treat.

BTW, do you read all of the comments you receive daily?

~Pixie

gemmak said...

I didn't know that little pocket had a name. How clever of you Daisy :O) I like Harleys little birdie, I hope it's tweeting doesn't keep him awake!

Puglette said...

wow! I wonder what that birdie is whispering in harley's ear? is it telling him to be naughty? is that his secret spy boss?? hmmm...interesting. ;o)
hugs,
puglette

Puglette said...

oh wow!! the doggies have them too!!

Daisy said...

Pixie, I read and enjoy every single comment!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Wow Daisy that was an important bit f information. I wonder how Harley fit that baby bird into part of his pocket... and can he eat it if he gets hungry?

Shaggy and Scout said...

But what is the purpose of a Henry's Pocket? Besides keeping earwax in, of course...
Cute little birdie on Harley!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Harley, is that bird whispering sweet-nothings in your ear?

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

That is so cool that we have pockets! Meowm always wondered about that little spot on our ears.

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

hm, does I have one of them in my ear, or just cats?

jenianddean said...

I've noticed that before, but didn't know that it belonged to Henry. I hope he doesn't want his pocket back, because I like having it.
--Jasper

The Creek Cats said...

Hey Daisy, our mom would like to know where your mom purchased the baby scale to do weight checks. We can't find any locally, so we will have to purchase online. She found one for $43.00, shipping included. Wondering if your mom got a better deal where she purchased hers.
Thanks!

Sarah Coggins said...

How neat! I didn't realize that little pocket had a special name. And good catch by your reader - sure enough it does appear Harley has a bird there. :)

Maureen Hayes said...

Wow, you kitties is lucky, us humans don't have that. I like that Harley's got a birdie in his ear. . .lol!!

You is so smart and you teaches us all, thank to you!

brokenteepee said...

Thanks for teaching me something today! It is always good to learn. But I think Harley should get that birdie out of his ear...

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I have played with those before when petting cats and wondered what they are. Now I know. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Daisy - I have a pocket too! SO it's not just cats...! :)

And actually, my pocket IS probably big enough to carry a baby bird - ha! ha!

I wonder who Henry was?

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

How cool is that? I did not know what that was on us kitties! I like Harley's birdie.
--JB

The Furry Kids said...

Cool, Daisy! Mine is pinkish and EG's is grey. Titus' (if dawg's have one - well, they do but I don't know if it's called the same thing) is pink but covered in white furs. Sweet!
Thank you for this cool info. :)
Love,
Tazo

Babs-beetle said...

I wonder what Henry's Pocket is for though. I mean, why do we have it? What purpose does it serve? If you could let me know the answer to that I would be grateful.

Purrs, Sukie x

Jackie said...

What a good girl you are Daisy. thanks for helping us learn all of that new information.

Wow you and Harley are both such good models. I just got done chasing Puma all over trying to get just 1 close up. I am going to have him study you and Harley more and maybe that will help.

Wow cool mark on your ear Harley. But, your a cool cat anyway huh?:-)))

Mr. Black said...

Oh, Henry! They picked a pocket to name after you!

This so-called "Henry" fellow needs to be investigated further. I'll get right on it after I examine Elvis' cauliflower ear.

Mr. B

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

We think that Henry's pocket would be a good place to stash an emergency Temptation. How cool there is a birdie on Harley's ear!

BeadedTail said...

I didn't realize those ear thingys had a name. Thanks for educating us today Daisy! And yes, Harley does have a baby birdie on his ear - he just gets more fascinating every day!

Anonymous said...

Yes, but why do you have "henry's pocket" in your ear?

Unknown said...

weeee hasss pockeeet??? on mai earz??? mai mom needs to check it and weee found ittt!!!

Anonymous said...

"Oh" is that what it's called. Harley's bird is cute :)

Black Cat said...

I've always wondered what those pockets were for but never knew they had their own unique name! Now I know they're for keeping birds in! I never saw any birds in Ollie, William or Cybil's Henry pockets though. Perhaps they just brought them home in them before shaking them onto the floor for me to find when I came home, lol!

I think you're right to prevent your Mommie from getting a Facebook account Daisy, it takes up way too much time! :) xxx

Lin said...

The chicken is so stupid it made me laugh!

Sarge Charlie said...

I learned stuff today miss daisy

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

I never knew that! I learn something efurry day in the blogosphere. You all are so smart.
DMM

Cheyenne -Millie said...

Thank you Daisy for teaching me something about myself today. Now I got to go look in the mirror at myself... but I won't let mom see me.

PDX pride said...

Mommy always wondered what that flap was called, now she wants to know what its purpose is (or was, maybe it's a "leftover" bit) and who Henry was!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I bet those parts are really tasty!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

SophieKitty said...

Cool! I didn't even knew I had a pocket! I learn so much from you, Daisy.

christy said...

Oooh, like so many other kitties, we nefur knew what that pocket was called either!
You learn something new efurry day.

xo-P, T & A.G.

Skeezix the Cat said...

I wood like to kiss yer Henry's pocket, ixsept I think I need to know Henry better ferst.

Lorenza said...

Harley's birdie is cute!
I did not know about Henry pockets.
Thanks for the info.
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Quill and Greyson said...

Oh that bird shot is too funny. I had no idea about my pocket.

Asta said...

I can't believe Harley didn't notice a baby biwd in his pocket..hmmm..does evewyone have a henry's pocket??
I have to go check my eaws now
smoochie kisses
ASTA

The Taylor CatSSSSS said...

This was so interesting! Thanks for teaching us something new. We are off to see if we have pockets too!

Janet said...

Why is it called Henry's Pocket, I wonder? We are off to check our pockets now!

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello daisy its dennis the vizsla dog hay hmm let me check .... oh hay luk theres a wallet in mine!!!! and theres sum id in it wot sez the wallet belongs to henry!!!! and luk theres $200 of henrys munny!!!! now if yoo wil ekskyooz me i hav to go do sum shopping ha ha ok bye

Marilyn said...

That's neat. I don't seem to have one though.

Kiera said...

My ear itches a lot - maybe I got a birdie in it . . . I will check.

RJ Flamingo said...

JJ has a pocket, too! She's thinking of storing a treat in each one - it should be just about the right size.

Oh, Harley, you do have a birdy in yours! :-)

RJ Flamingo said...

JJ has a pocket, too! She's thinking of storing a treat in each one - it should be just about the right size.

Oh, Harley, you do have a birdy in yours! :-)

Sunny's Mommy said...

Hahaha! Oh my, he does have a baby bird in his ear LOL

Donna said...

Wow, that was surprising! I don't have any pockets. Your ears look very cute.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Oh My! Harley has a most unusual ear pocket...

Related Posts with Thumbnails