Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Toothy Tuesday

Today I am going to share something with you that I DO NOT enjoy. It is called brushing my teeths. The last time I went to the vet's, they said I had slightly tartar-y teeths. So, my Mommie has decided that I must get my teeths brushed every day. Here is my special paste. It is Seafood flavored, but it is not very delicious.

I was just thinking, since this is seafood flavor, and it removes tartar, you could call it "Tartar Sauce."
Here are my toothbrushes. My Mommie said that the red one is easier to use, but she thinks the white one works better. I do not like either of them.
Here we are getting ready. Can you tell by my expression how much I am looking forward to this?
Sometimes I try to clamp my lips together. This does not work.
ACK! My teeths, they are being brushed! Thank goodness it is over very quickly.
Now we have worked out a compromise. Each time I get my teeths brushed, I also get my furs brushed. So now I look forward to my dental hygiene. Almost.
Post script: These photos were taken some time ago. I have actually started to enjoy my dental hygiene time, and sometimes I even purr. Best of all, my Mommie said that my gums used to be slightly darker around my teeths, and now they are a uniform light pink color.

Share/Bookmark

87 Notes for Daisy:

Poppy Q said...

Good teeths are very important for a model - good work miss Daisy. I loved the photos of you clamping down, yup you wouldn't get me co-operating with these shinanagins.

I wonder what other flavours they make? Lamb, tuna or ham toothpaste. I did not even know they made brushes for pussycats.

Smooches.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

I dislike brushing teeth, too.
But I have to....
I can tell you don't like brush,
me neighter~~ Michico only gives me extra kisses after brushes....

But I think it's not enough...

Anonymous said...

Puddy has to have her teeth cleaned too and she squirms a lot! But it's necessary for some kitties so their teeth are nice and clean. :D

The Meezers or Billy said...

oh mommy tried doing that to me but i putted a stop to it. - Sammy

Ramses said...

What a good girl you are Daisy! We all had to trial another cat toothpaste for a magazine this past week and I can tell you for certain that it was most defiantly yucky! While I have never likes having my teeth cleaned at least our old toothpaste is far tastier than the new one, but the new one is supposed to make our breath smell nice... I offered to put the bitey on Dad's nose if he and Mummy kept trying to use the new one on me and that convinced them! ;) So back to the yummy malt flavour toothpaste and the so called beef one can be used on Tigmut'hep - I'm quite sure he can't taste anything with the amount of 'nip he takes! ;)

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We have our teefs brushed too. Flynn has got good teefs, but I have always had redder gums and tartar ever since I wuz a little kitty. Mum uses an old head off an electric teefs brush furr us. Haha tartare sauce! that's funny!

Anonymous said...

Well done for geting your teeth brushed, I hope you do it daily! Otherwise you will probably still have to get the vet to clean then under an anaesthetic in the future.
It's fun for the vets & vet students, but not much fun for the cats.

Anonymous said...

Actually i dont know how come i missed your blog till his day..
Cool one this is. :)

Anonymous said...

Yuckity, yuck, yuck! Mom tried that on us, we gave her a big bitey and she stopped. She gives us tartar control crunchies.

Maria said...

I always wondered how you kept your teeth so white and shiny. They are very beautiful!

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

The vet had given the PM one of those red brushes to try with me. My teeth weren't bad, they said it would be a good routine to get into.

I put the bitey on her real good.

No more red brush thingy.

Purrs Shade

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We are glad you are beginning to like having your teeth brushed. Mommy thinks that she should brush our teeth now, I hope we like it. ~Socks, Scylla & Charybdis

Felix, Garfield & Jawsy said...

We love ur contented look during your brushing session, Daisy. :)

Anonymous said...

It must have been so tough to make daisy to habituated with brushing the teeth.

Anonymous said...

Good dental health is important! Glad you're liking the brushing now. it really does feel good, doesn't it?

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

dere iz nuthin like a girlcat widda fresh breth anna wite smile.
luv--jh

Anonymous said...

Yay for you and your teeths!

The Taylor CatSSSSS said...

Oh Daisy, you have very pearly white teefies!

The Misadventures Of Me said...

I do nots think I woulds like my teefs brushed either. It was hards enough to go to see the v-e-t and gets mine done.

Mickey's Musings said...

Daisy,that is really good that you will have healthy teeth! The come in handy when you need to bite ;)
Purrs Mickey

Anonymous said...

Bounce has tartary teeths too. It takes three people to brush his teeths because he hates it so much.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

that is very excellent daisy. i am proud of you. i once lived with a kitty (he owned me) and his teefs got bad and that was NO FUN!

smiles, auntie bee
xxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Dma said...

when i brought the boyz in for the annual visit to the vet they sold me some toothpaste and instructed me what to do. we still haven't given it a try becuz i don't think they will be too cooperative. i'm glad to hear you have gotten used to it...

The Furry Kids said...

It's good that your Mommie helps you take good care of your teeths. You need good strong teeths for giving the bitey. hee hee

Love,
Tazo

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Daisy, we are very impressed that you have started to like having your teeth brushed! I need to have mine brushed, and I don't enjoy it at all. - Dragonheart

Babs (Beetle) said...

Ooh! I don't think I would like that at all! I don't like M&M doing anything to me except brushings.

I laughed at the tartar sauce bit.

Purrs, Sukie X

Monty Q. Kat said...

Kinda looks like SweetBean getting her teeth brushehd!

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Meowm says she really should be doing this for me....but she figures it would be a war and she wouldn't win.~Junior

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Me thinks me Mom better not see this post or she'll want to try this with me.

Laila

Cat Naps in Italy said...

There are so many things we love about you Miss Daisy, but the thing we love the most are those cute faces you make! That last photo says it all!

Kitty kisses from the stinky breath cats in Italy!
Love,
Opus and Rosoce

Quasi said...

Daisy, unfortunately, your post has encouraged Steve to try to brush my teeth again. I had previously won "The Battle of the Brushies."

jenianddean said...

Wow Daisy! You are a super good girl to have your teeths brushed. I don't know if I could be that patient. I think mom would get the bitey if she tried that with us. What did you say mom, you're going to try and start doing that after vacation....oh no!

But you sure do have a super smile afterwards!
-Jasper McKitten-Cat

Tybalt said...

"Tartar Sauce" made me snicker, Daisy!

You are such a good kitty. Even though I love my mommy very much, I do not think I would make it easy for her to brush my teeth.

catsynth said...

Good teeth are important. Glad to hear you're actually finding some enjoyment from your dental hygiene.

Tara said...

You are a very good girl Daisy, and your teeth are more beautiful for it.

I, on the other hand, can't imagine tolerating that.....

Tara

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

We have one of those red brushes.
We do not like it.
~ Timothy

Jimmy Joe said...

Daisy, I am very proud of you for learning how to enjoy teeths-brushing. Momma brushes my teeths and Coco's teeths (almost) every night, but we get poultry-flavor teeth-pastes.
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

Nomi said...

My miewmie knows better than to efen fink about brushing my teefs efen if it is good for them. I wish I was as brafe as you Daisy.

LZ said...

Oh great so you mean you actually started to not mind it?? That probably means the LL will now try that with us again. She said it was SUCH a hassle before there was not point with squirming meezers.

Kaze

Captain Jack and Sir Dante said...

Ick! Teeths are for biting, not brushing we say!!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Daisy
Your Mom is very wise to get you accustomed to toofie brushing. If Mom gets any ideas about doing this I will put the bitey on her...didja hear me Mom?

Purrs
Abby

Forty Paws said...

Oh yes! You are a very good girl. We don't have our toofies brushed around here. Laws have mercy!

Luf, Us

PB 'n J said...

Oh you're so good Daisy - we never get our teeth brushed cause Mommy comes off quite a bit worse for wear. George loves to have her teeth brushed, but we think she's a bit loopy!

Shaggy and Scout said...

Our vet has recommended that for Shaggy & Scooby. Mom has been real hesitant. But now seeing your step by step pictures, she thinks she will give it a try.
Yuck.

Mr. Echo said...

That first face looks like mine when I gotsta get eer meddasin. Oh how I hate that! I git mad and struggel reel hard and then run away and think bad thots of my ladey. I'd haff to be wrapped as a burreetoe if thay wantid to brush my teeths.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

We all gets our teefs brushed too...Zippy neffur gets enuf teef brushing time in cuz she is a mean, biting gerl. Sadie likes it! I will tolerate it...mom uses a baby toof brush on us! Like fur little bean babies! Oh, and we gots da answer to yesterdays mystery right but when we tried to tell yoo da stupid peesee went all nuts and we hadded a hard time getting back on to da innernets.

Skeezix the Cat said...

I don't think yer teeths need brushing. Cuz yer breth always smells kissing-sweet.

Rene Perez said...

Oh!! I bet your mommy will take you sliding now that you're so good about brushing your teeth. I love to brush my teeth and feel them all clean. My toothpaste is not seafood flavored. You're lucky.

Anonymous said...

Wow - no one ever has brushed my teeth! That looks furry awful!

Queen Snickers, Empress and Princess Renna said...

Hmm we only eat greenies for our teeth. I don't think I'd like brushing. Empress would tear momma up. We will ask the vet about it though. :)

Motor Home Cats said...

How good of your mommy to brush your teeth every day. We don't have any teeth to brush (well not any back ones anyway). The vet stole all of ours.

Tiki, Tavi, Cody and Camie

Figaro the Therapy Cat said...

hi daisy,
good teeths are very important. we has to get our teeths brushed every week, mommie doesn't have energies to do it every day. our toothpaste is Malt flavor. I do not know what that means but it is not very good either. I do not mind but Figaro complains.
veronica

Unknown said...

Daisy, I have that very same toothpaste and brushes. My Mum and I were not as successful as you and your Mum. I put up quite the fight, my Mum had toothpaste all over the place and then I struggled free. We didn't try again....

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

I am glad you let your Mommy clean your teeths. This makes them nice and healthy.

SophieKitty said...

My mommie tried to brush my teefs. I showed her how strong they were by giving her the big bitey. She's tried a few more times with the same results. Now, she doesn't even try.

Boy said...

You get your teeth bwushed EVEWYDAY???!!! Gosh! I've never ever had mine teeth bwushed in all 14 years! Goodness...I better not wet mine Mummy wead this post in case she starts getting any ideas!

Tyler said...

Oh we are very impressed Daisy. My mom bought all of the materials but didn't like wrestling with us to get the job done. Recently she saw a sack that they sell where you zip the kitty up into this bag. The head sticks out and there are zippers where the various legs are so that one paw may be pulled out at a time for trimming the claws. Of course one could use it for teeth brushing too. She might buy that for us, but I hope not.

Thank you for your thoughtful words on my blog. They meant a lot to my mom.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Very good, Daisy. You've got a smart mom. And like Poppy said, good teeth are very important for a model.

purrs and tail wags

Jazmin said...

That is good that your teeth are doing better. I had to have the vet do mine several years ago and that is no picnic!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Oh Daisy! My teeths are so bad and I have lots of tartar! My gums have ouchies and I need to go to see dr, staph. My mom is always so scared to take me because I have to get my bloods stolen and then I have to have to go to sleep with scary medicine. I know I must go, and I know I would never allow my mom to brush my teeths. I am a very bad jelly bean.
--JB

Unknown said...

Just remember you'll have those teeth for the rest of your nine lives, Daisy. It's important to take care of them.

Sarge Charlie said...

that sounds like a good compromise Miss Daisy, but I think you should have held out for a tummy scratch also.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Daisy, that's wonderful that your Mommie is taking such good care of your toothies while you are a young ladycat!

I can't stop giggling at "tartar sauce"!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn!

Liss said...

That's a good lesson for us all. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to add your Teeths Tuesday to my sister-law's Tuesday Review.

Mo and The Purries said...

Oh Daisy - you're such a good kitty!
I just have to laugh, because I'm picturing me covered in lacerations if I ever tried to do that to Daphne or Chloe!!!!
And LOL @ "tartar sauce" - you should be in marketing!
But if they can make "seafood" tasting feline toothpaste, why are cat antibiotics bubblegum flavored? Seriously, what idiot thought of that? Hello - TUNA flavored antibiotics (heck, even mouse flavored) would be much easier to swallow than bubbleyuck!

Luv,
Not The Mama

Cat Street Boyz said...

Mommy, I told you there has to be a better tasting toof paste instead of that stupid chicken flavor! We want tartar sauce!!!!! =^Y^=Ty

The Devil Dog said...

It is very important to have healthy teeth, Daisy. Your mom is doing a good job.

Roxy

Evergreen loves Kilroy said...

lol! Oh Daisy, you are such a good girl. And such a cute one, too! I know you didn't like brushing your teefs in those pictures, but your "Do not want!" face is priceless nonetheless.

Macy has to have salmon-"flavored" hairball goo that is applied to the paw, but all she does is run around the house and try to fling it off.

Fank you for your sweet encouragement while my mommy was sick! It was much appreciated.

Tommy and Teaghan said...

We know how impurtant dental hyjeans are now. Love haffing yur teefies brushed or yoo won't haf any left. Yoo mean dey don't haf leezard flavored toofpaste?

Lux said...

Brushing makes everything better (fur brushing, that is). Sigh ... my mom knows she needs to do this to us, too. But she dreads the year it will take us to get used to it!!

meemsnyc said...

Wow Daisy, you brush your teeth! Wow. We like that you call it tartar sauce. Funny! It sounds like it tastes good.

andrahyb said...

Now say cheeeeeese! =)

L. Alida said...

What a good girl you are Daisy! I must start doing Billie's teeth and She can be quite the fighter. I will tell her how co-operative your are with your Mommie. Tartar sauce... you're so cute!
Love and Hugs to You And Pixie,
Lorianna

Sushi said...

Good girl Daisy! I need to learn from you. I don't like having my teeth brushed at all! Sometimes I eat treats which are supposed to clean them, but my parents tell me it's not as good as brushing. I guess I'll have to get used to it, because I'm afraid of the dentist!

The Lazy Iguana said...

NONE of my cats would tolerate this. I just feed them dry food and that seems to keep their teeth clean.

caspersmom said...

I guess resisting would make it harder on you. Mom hasn't tried that on me yet. I too, didn't know they made toothbrushes for cats. But I guess they would if they made them for doggies. Mom bought one for Amber when she was alive but she clamped shut and Mom could not budge her. She finally gave up, Mom that is. You sure are a good girl letting your Mom do that to you.

Casper

Moki The Wobbly Cat said...

Hi Daisy,

Sorry we haven't stopped by in awhile. Brushing your teeth doesn't look like it would be much fun!!!

Max said...

That happened here, just a couple of times. My people decided they rather enjoyed living, and were sure I was about to end that for them...

eastcoastlife said...

Sorry for my poor general knowledge, I didn't know cats brush teeth too.

Girl Girl Hamster said...

I think your teefies must be sparkling white by now

~ Girl girl

Kimberly Walker said...

Now if only Jingles enjoyed getting his fur brushed...he fights with me every time. Any tips for the fur brushing Daisy?

CRIZ LAI said...

Oooo.. someone brushes the teeth because of a date? Who is that lucky guy? :P

Ellen Whyte said...

Fantastic pictures. And a very winning smile :-)

CastoCreations said...

I'm SO proud of you Daisy!!! We know how important good teeth cleaning is for our babies. We have it on our list to go find special tooth brushes for our doggies. The people brush we tried using just didn't work.

I know you know how important keeping care of your teeth is. :)

Anonymous said...

I will have to try this for my kitties, thanks so much for partcipating in tuesday review! I love the emotional faces on your latest entry. How cute!

Angela

Andree said...

I'm really impressed, Daisy. I have lots of toothpaste here but oh boy! How do I do it with these guys? Like impossible!! So good for you for doing the right thing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails