Monday, August 25, 2008

Key West is for Cats

I told you last week that my Mommie and Daddie went to Key West and left me and Pixie at home. Well I got to look through their pictures, and I am very sad that I did not get to go! I will show you some of the pictures I found. First, here is where they stayed: it is called The Gardens Hotel. They stayed in that room on the upper left.
Then, they got to tour the Hemingway Home! Many, many cats live there, and they are descendents of the cats kept by Ernest Hemingway. Here is a calico cat.
This cat is a polydactyl! He has extra toes. I think that is very cute. The Hemingway Home is famous for their polydactyl cats. Here is link to the Hemingway Home Cat Cam if you would like to watch the cats live.
This is the most famous cat drinking-fountain in the world! Hemingway had it built especially for his cats. The top is made from an old Spanish olive jar brought from Cuba. The trough part is made from a URINAL that came from the famous bar called Sloppy Joe's. Hahahaha!
This cat is one of the oldest cats who live at the Hemingway home. I think he is going to take a bath.
Here is a photo from the cat graveyard. Nippy was borned in 1957! I guess he liked to bite. Just like me.
My Mommie and Daddie walked down to the Southernmost Point. Sorry there is no photo of the concrete marker. Hey, Mommie! Do not fall in!
And I cannot believe it, but they went to Mallory Square for the Sunset Celebration and saw the famous Circus Cats!
This cat made a little mistake, because he was supposed to jump through the hoop. I would like to learn this trick. See, the man's shirt is all clawed up! I do not know why all these people are looking away from the cats.
This cat jumped through a circle of FLAMES! But he did not get burned. The other cat is just taking a break on the tightrope.
I think the cats enjoyed performing. I want to become a real Circus Cat!
Next time, I am going to ask if I can go to Key West, too!
Share/Bookmark

103 Notes for Daisy:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

daisy i have been right there where your mom was and i saw that guy and those cats! they were amazing but you could have done better. it was lots of fun!!! i think you should get to go in your stroller!

smiles, auntie bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

bluecrystaldude said...

Wow! Circus cats! I never saw that before!

gemmak said...

Oh Daisy, those look particularly spectacular places for a cat, I really think you should 'chaperone' mommy next time. There would be plenty of company for you and I'm sure you could show those old circus cats a trick or two! ;o)

Leslie said...

Daisy - your blog is very popular with the students mom teaches.

Each week they write their moral stories (comics) just like you, and now they all have a pet rock - just like you!

Here is mom's website that they are learning about rocks from:
http://myscienceprogram.blogspot.com/2008/08/staying-alive-keeping-pet-rock.html

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Key West looks like a wonderful place! I really think that our people need a change of mindset about taking us along when they travel to fun places! #1 tells me she took "the-one-who-came-before" all over the world with her!

Your Pal,
Sen-Chan

The Whiskers and Purrs Gang said...

Dearest Daisy,
Wow...a resort just for kitties! Key West sounds like a wonnerful place and you should definitely git to go next time. Was you and Pixie skeert to be home by yourselfs?

Very truly yours,
The Whiskers and Purrs Gang

Parker said...

Mommy has always wanted to go there. Maybe someday she will make it. I bet you would make a great show-cat!

Barb said...

Daisy, I've been to the Southernmost Point, Hemingway House, Mallory Square and Sloppy Joes, too! I just love Key West! I made the terrible mistake of going on the Fourth of July and that was wrong - in several ways! Too many people and too, too hot!!!

Poppy Q said...

Daisy you would be a great circus cat - but I think you have a better life at home with your mommie. Looks like your beans had a nice break, it is always nice to have a holiday by the beach.

Smooches sweet friend.

Anonymous said...

Those Circus Cats sure leave lots of holes in their humans tee shirt! We do not think we would care for jumping through hoops of fire! There are more and more places that are pet friendly, Daisy, but we do not think that you would care for spending so much time in the PTU.

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Key West looks like a real fun place!!

I would like to have a drinking fountain like that! Well, maybe without the urinal part. Ewww...

purrs Goldie

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Key West sounds like a wonderful place for cats to visit. Mommy has read about Hemingway's house, she hopes it is always a sanctuary for cats. ~S, S & C

Karen and Gerard said...

Too bad you didn't get to go along on that trip, it looked like a lot of fun! Hemingway house is a great place! I don't get why those people weren't watching the circus cats either. I wouldn't want my cats jumping through fiery hoops though--it looked dangerous to me. I think you could be a circus cat, but I think doing tricks at home with your mommie is much safer.

Sunny's Mommy said...

Nice pictures! I especially was impressed by the orange cat jumping through a flaming hoop. That is astounding!

I think you should get to go, too, next time ;-)

Spooky said...

Daisy, I have not been to Key West, but Treater and Napper have and they watched the circus cats! Lala's momma, Light, went too.

I think you'd make a good circus cat!

Anonymous said...

I is very glad that you are not a circus kitty Daisy, we would be too scared to watch lest you get burnt :(

It looks like your MOmma and dadda had lots of fun, it's nice when they get times for that :)
The Hemmingway house looks wow cool!

Teddy Westlife said...

I think you could learn some amazing circus tricks if you get to go to Key West, Daisy.

Huffle Mawson

Bobby D. said...

that circus cat stuff is strictly for suckers. Napping is a whole lots more fun that jumping through a hoop of fire!

The Meezers or Billy said...

that looks like a great place!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I'd be sneezing and sheezing... although that calico is quite cute...I want to go see the circus cats... Oh that looks like so much fun!

Unknown said...

Daisy, I'm not sure my Mommy will let us play with you any longer because she says your Mommy just looks too darn good in her shorts! Petey just says, "hubba hubba!" (Mica: I don't think he knows what that means.)

Looks like they had a wonderful time at Key West! We had read that the government was threatening to confiscate the Hemingway Cats or charge fines if they weren't contained on the property. Did you hear any news about that?

Your pals,

Petey and Mica

Babs (Beetle) said...

Oh Daisy, I told MB that I want to learn to jump through a hoop! She has been so busy that she hasn't taught me any tricks yet.

Purrs, Sukie x

Mickey's Musings said...

I think you should have gone too Daisy!!!!! Those are wonderful pictures!! Mom thinks they are beautiful!! I like the cats and the performing cats!!!!!!!
Mom likes the cat hugging is owner :)
Thank you for sharing!!
Purrs Mickey

Purrageous Pirates said...

Our beans have been to Key West years ago (before we was even borned) and loved it. Mommy wanted to steal one of the Hemmingway kitties but Daddy said she would get caught and go to jail for feline theft.

Honey P. Sunshine said...

daisy, yoo cood have gone along in yor stroller

i beati said...

My suitcase is packed when are we going Daisy??

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Key West looks really nice! Mom has never been to Florida or the Keys....
It looks like they had lovely weather!

I am glad you and Pixie behaved while they were gone
Purrrs always, Prin

JD at I Do Things said...

Key West is my favorite place in the world. We've been there 5 times and always go to Hemingway House and try to catch Dominique and his Circus Cats (I was actually part of a show one time -- he threw a flaming hoop at my feet and almost set me on fire).

Anyway, I hope your Mom and Dad had a great time. I loved all the pictures.

JD at I Do Things

Dma said...

that looks like a great spot for a getaway. i'll have to add it to my list of places to go...

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

What a nice place to visit. Maybe you can learn the hoop trick and add it to your act!!
I like to try tricks, too. Momma does not care for the one I'm doing today.

~ Timothy

Anonymous said...

Wow Daisy, you missed out on a great trip! Maybe you'll get to go on the next trip! You could practice those circus tricks at home first and then when they see how talented you are they'll have to take you along!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That looks a great place with lots of nice cats. We wouldn't want to be in the circus though.

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

We would love to go to Key West and meet some of those cats!!!!!!

We are certain you could put together a great circus act!!

Forty Paws said...

OMDawg! Maw would luf to go to Key West one day and check it out. She finds the "original" home of the polydactyls quite interesting. We're glad that your Mom and Dad had a great time! We're also glad that it didn't rain on them!!

Luf, Us

Cat Street Boyz said...

Looks like your mommy & daddy had lots of fun.......with other cats! Tee Hee!!! To many humans there might have scared you Daisy. Now your beans are back and the spoiling continues!!!!!!!!=^Y^=the Cat Street Boyz

CRIZ LAI said...

Wow! The performing cats are smaller than I thought but they are great!

Psss... next time you better find a space in their luggage :P

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

Sarge Charlie said...

We have been to Key West a few times, I love Mallory Square at sunset, the cats amaze me, but having seen some of your jumps I feel sure that you would be the star of the show.....

Irishcoda said...

Wow, what a neat vacation! Daisy I bet you would have enjoyed the visit to the Hemingway House and to the cat circus! Maybe next time, glad your beans had such a good time. I bet you and Pixie are really happy they are back! :)

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Since Key West is so cat friendly, I'm sure they would welcome you with open paws. You and your mommie could go and show them the tricks you have learned with your clicker and Temptations.

Two years ago our mommie got to go see the Moscow Cat Theater when they came to town. Now that was a show!

Laila and Minchie

Anonymous said...

"Wow" those are great photos now I want to go :)

Shaggy and Scout said...

We've heard of the Hemingway cats, but did not know there is a cat cam! Thanks for the info!! they are very special & pampered cats, as all cats should be.
Did your mom & dad go for their annie-versary???

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! I may read your post.Anyway Daisy, those look particularly spectacular places for a cat,i love your cat so much.It's really so cute & sweet.Thanks for sharing such nice picture.Thanks also your family vacation picture...

Tybalt said...

What a great kitty-filled vacation! I think you and Pixie should definitely go with your mommie next time.

Holly would fit right in with the Hemingway kitties, what with her extra toesies!

Skeezix the Cat said...

Oh, Daisy, pleeze don't join the serkuss. Cuz then I mite not git to see yoo anymore, and I don't think yoo'd like living with carny peepul.

But it looks like a good trip! I liked the water dish frum Sloppy Joes!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Daisy, what impressive and cat friendly place for your humans to visit! Ours visit places that are not so cat friendly at all!

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

Wow, Daisy, those pictures are wonderful! We hope that next time you and Pixie can go with your Mommie and Daddy too, especially to go visit the kitties at the Hemingway home! That would be so cool! Momma has seen the Circus Cats on TV, and she thinks your Mommie and Daddy are so lucky to have been able to see them!
Purrs and headbutts,
Sabrina, Sam and Simon

Boy said...

What an exciting pwace! I wish I was there too! I think you would make a wonderful circus cat Daisy!

Anonymous said...

Daisy, i finks you should get to go to Key West and check out those circus cats. I's bets you's better!
Purrs,
KC

Anonymous said...

A place with plenty of ocean and plenty of cats sounds like a great place to visit.

Mo and The Purries said...

Wow - those are great pictures!
I have heard about the fountain for the Hemingway Cats, but have never seen a picture of it 'til now! Very cool!!!
Glad your mommie missed Fay!
Oh, and I hope you stay away from the burning hoops, Daisy!!!!

Luv and chin scritches,
Not The Mama

Moonchild Dancing! said...

Wow Daisy. Your Mom sure had a great time in Key West. :)

Asta said...

Daisy
That looks like a pawsome place..I'm so sowwy you didn't get to go
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Anonymous said...

oooh, your people sure know how to have fun! I wanna be a circus kitty too. so does my sister, Riley, but she's too much of a klutz.
Rascal

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Daisy

YOU do such fabulous tricks too..I got a kick outta the manx kitty!

*woo hoo*
I could be a circus performer too.

Purrs
Abby

Kavan said...

I WANT TO JOIN THE CIRCUS!!!!

Kavan

Queen Snickers, Empress and Princess Renna said...

Those pictures are pawesome! Circus kitties! Hemingway's kitties! How fun!! We want to go too!

Anonymous said...

Don't run away and join the circus Daisy 'cos I'd miss you!

love Milo xx

Mrs Sweetwater said...

Wowww Daisy,
glad you didn't get caught in the big storm in key west.

I hope your mom got a lil of the fresh catnip from the hemmingway garden, as a present for you.

I've heard it's the cats Meeeeeoooooowwwwwwwww,,

Nomi said...

I haf nefer heard of a cat circus for us cats only for our weely big cat cousins. Miewmie saw one of those when she was a girl...a furry long time ago. I can't do any twicks cept jump up for mouses so they wouldnt want me but you could be a superstar.

Kimo and Sabi said...

That place looks sooper fun! We will have to check out da cat cam too!

Figaro the Therapy Cat said...

Wow! I would like to be a circus cat too!!!!!

Karen said...

Daisy! Maybe you have finally put the finger on what I need to become. I should grow up to be a kitty circus ringmaster. Lord knows I got the cats!

LZ said...

Wow what a cool place!! I especially like the circus cats they are SO cool.

Kaze

CastoCreations said...

Oh I would LOVE to see you doing circus tricks and you're so smart that I know you'd learn all sorts of fun things so fast. :)

I told Trooper your message about jumping out a window and he agrees ... no more jumping out windows. But I won't be rolling them down far enough in the future ... just in case. =)

Ailurophile said...

Yep we've read about Ernest Hemingway's love for polydactyl cats and the Hemingway home..it's so cool your humans got to visit it!

The Furry Kids said...

Those circus cats are amazing!!! It looks like your mommie and daddie had a great time!

Love,
Tazo

The Island Cats said...

Daisy, we're really sad too that we didn't get to go to Key West. That looked like a fun trip...'specially the circus cats. You'd make a good circus cat, we think!

Wally, Ernie & Zoey

pee ess. Ernie is a polydactyl...he wants to go to Hemmingway's House to visit his "bros"

PB 'n J said...

We bet you could show those circus cats a thing or two Daisy!

Anonymous said...

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing with us. I want to go to Key West and Hemmingway house1

Unknown said...

Ohmaigosh!! cats performing! Mai mom wants to see dat she is going to Key westz!!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to visit Key West... someday!

Lux said...

That looks like such a neat place to visit. Those circus cats are amazing!

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

deer daisy,
maybe u can go to key west ... an i can go to provincetown.
mi gram tellz mi mom dat key west izza lot like provincetown.
izzit colorful like provincetown?
jus wunderin.
luv--jh

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

That looks like a great trip. Your mommy must have had a good time, but I sure hope she was not cheating on you with all those cats!
Oh!!, my mom says she recognizes that man with the circus cats! She thinks she saw him and his cats doing a show at the Texas State Fair a couple years ago! Maybe it could be the same man and his cats?
--JB

Tesla and Hansel said...

Wow what a great trip! So many kitties!

BeadedTail said...

Key West looks like the purrfect place for me - sun, ocean, beach and cats! What more could I possibly need?

Marian said...

Daisy - Our beans just love Key West, especially Hemingway's cats with all the toes! They love to snorkel while in the Keys. We would love to snorkel, too. We hear there are all kinds of fishy flakes on the hoof down there.
:o) Thomas, Phoebe and Trixie

Quasi said...

This looks like a great trip, and I'm glad that Hurricane Fay did not get your mommy or daddy. I hear that circus life is not all that it's cracked up to be.

The Florida Furkids said...

Hey Daisy,

Our Mom and Dad have been to Mallory Square and saw Dominique the Catman too! They liked the kitties with the extra toesies....we had a sister named Fooz who had lots of extra toes!!

Thanks for sharing the photos!
Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Mr. Hendrix said...

wow! that is a neat place to visit. i think i would like to go there too.

i wish that i had my own special cat fountian. i'm not sure i would like jumping thru fire, but the tightrope looks fun.

jenianddean said...

That looks like a great trip, except that you weren't there. That's a really cool cat fountain, except that it's made from a urinal.
--Jasper

Mr. Tigger in Cat-Lands said...

Wow! Your Mom and Dad did some cool stuff! Those Circus Cats look cool!
Your (TS Gustav stay away) FL furiends,

The Devil Dog said...

That is a very beautiful area, Daisy. There are certainly a lot of kitties there. We are glad your parents had fun, too bad they left you behind.

Roxy

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

Great pictures! Key West looks like a perfect place for a kitty to go on vacation. Your mommie should take you and Pixie next time.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Papa sure did love the kitties! That looks like a fascinating place.

L. Alida said...

Oh Daisy, I have always wanted to go to Hemingway House! I tell my husband I will secretly move in and just play with kitties every day!
I'm so glad your Mommy and Daddy had such a fun time and avoided that nasty Fay!
Great Pictures! :)
Hugs and Smoochies,
Lorianna

Girl Girl Hamster said...

That's alot of cute cats. And I've never seen circus cats before

~ Girl girl

Lorenza said...

Hi, Daisy!
Looks like your mom and dad had a great time!
Hemingway House is so nice!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Rosie & Cheeto said...

yoo wuld make a grate curkus cat, daisy! Plus yud have fancy owtfits.

Owr lady said she got hur fake eye-dee taken away at sloppy joes so tell yer mommie not to eat thare if she has a fake eye!!

Anonymous said...

Wow them circuss cats werent afraid of all that water so close? The cats I lived with wuz always skeered of waters. Those Key West cats shure must be braves.

Lisa said...

I'd love to go to Key West and see the Hemingway place with all those cats! I'm glad your mom & dad had a good time!

Sushi said...

Hi Friend,I'm sorry you had to stay home;sometimes these hotels don't allow any furry people like us :(
Wow! I loved your Mommie's trip pics and I'm so impressed with the circus cats too. Mama also visited the Hemingway's home and it was really interesting for her to see all the cats and there was one who looked like Charlie Chaplin :)

The WriggleButts said...

Wow! That looks like a very, very nice trip! I think they should take you the next time - you know tricks too, so you could help the performance guy!


Bajas

Motor Home Cats said...

Daisy, it looks like your Mommy and Daddy had fun. We are envious that they got to meet not only Hemingway's cats, but also circus cats. We think you would have been better tho.

Tiki, Tavi, Cody, Camie and Miss Jade

Motor Home Cats said...

Daisy, it looks like your Mommy and Daddy had fun. We are envious that they got to meet not only Hemingway's cats, but also circus cats. We think you would have been better tho.

Tiki, Tavi, Cody, Camie and Miss Jade

Liss said...

This looks like so much fun. I'd love to visit the Hemingway House. Being surrounded by all those cats has to be great. I be everywhere they looked, they saw a cat. Wow.

Janet said...

Wow, Daisy...we saw that man and some of those same circus cats in Seattle at the Pike Place Market a couple of years ago! They really get around!

Chrissie said...

You're a good gymnast, Miss Daisy. I think you could learn to jump through a hoop, but I do not think I'd want you to jump through a Hoop of Flames!

Thoughts said...

Wow! What amazing pictures. I cant believe all the feline-related fun that's in Key West. We want to live there now!

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Oah My~!!
The Circus cats!!!!!
This is amazing!!!!
Now I want to go to Key West as well!

Lilly Lu, Iris and Maxwell Mufsa Millon said...

t it daisy my beans have followed your beans leave and going to key west tomrow i am mad !!!!!!!!

Bonnie sayers said...

These are beautiful pictures. I am now following you on twitter (autismfamily). We care for a family of feral cats, they are tuxedo so it is nice to see tabby cats and other species.

My 13 yr old will love visiting here often, he is homeschooled.

Anonymous said...

I must say, the last image was awesome..

Related Posts with Thumbnails