Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thursday Thirteen, Edition #14


Here are 13 things about Devon Rex cats:

  1. Devons average six to nine pounds; males are heavier than females. We have a medium-fine frame. I weigh just over 6 pounds. Pixie is over 11 pounds! She is big for a Devon.
  2. The curliness of our coats varies greatly between cats. Devons come in many coat patterns and colors. I am a dilute calico; Pixie is a silver tabby.
  3. Kittens usually molt their baby fur, and then develop their adult coats.
  4. We feel warm to the touch because of our lighter coats.
  5. We like to find warm spots like on top of the t.v. or computer. Yep, that's me!
  6. Devons are highly active and playful and have been described as "a monkey in cat's clothing." My Mommie sometimes calls me Monkeybones Jones.
  7. We are very people-oriented.
  8. Devons shed less than many cats, and may be tolerated by those with allergies.
  9. The breed originated in Devonshire, England. The "founding father" of the breed was named Kirlee, and he was discovered in 1960. The first Devon Rex arrived in the United States in 1968.
  10. The Devon Rex breed is distinct from the Cornish Rex breed, even though our coats appear similar.
  11. Devon Rex cats have large eyes, a short muzzle, prominent cheekbones, and gigantic ears that are wide-set at the base.
  12. Devons have all three types of hair (guard, awn, and down). But, our guard hair is very sparse, short and rexed. Our whiskers are short, curly, and brittle. Almost all of Pixie's whiskers are broken off!
  13. And, guess what?!?!? I just found out from several sources that Kirlee, the first recorded Devon Rex, could walk a tightrope! No wonder I am a circus cat! I have Kirlee's genes. This is me, practicing the tightrope:

Share/Bookmark

48 Notes for Daisy:

Di said...

Parkland...I live just up the road in Boca. My doberman, Toby, would have written back, but he's vegged out on the couch and too lazy to blog! Nothing personal, but I don't think he would like you...or he would think you are a toy! Sometimes a cat will go through our backyard and it really bothers him.

NIMBY - to Toby cats are fine, just "not in my back yard!"

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Daisy, thanks for the information on Devon Rex! Devons and Sphynx have a lot in common - probably because the gene that is responsible for the Devon's curly hair is the same one that is responsible for Sphynx hairlessness!

Sphynx are also called monkeys, often described as "part dog, part child, part monkey, and part cat". Sphynx are people-oriented, highly active and very playful, just like Devons! Some people with allergies can tolerate Sphynx, we feel warm to the touch and we like warm places! So we have lots and lots in common. :)

That is very cool that the first recorded Devon Rex could walk a tightrope! :) You definitely have the circus performer genes. :)

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

hey monkeybones jones ... i see in da mirror dat dere wuz a vishus alligator comin after u ... i hope yer ok.
luv--yer frend--jh

Anonymous said...

Pixie... We are crazy about Rex cats. They are wild and frisky and loveable and very family oriented kittys.
Hey, can we join into the groop?
Cornish Rex, Devon and sphynx are all related!... Prinnie and I used to be quite a wild pair, back in the day. Now we are just very very vocal. we do not run so fast anymore or clime railings or jump on the lamps or dive down from the bookcases... or a few other things.

I love this picture of you in the mirror.
I hope you have a happily funfun day. Remember, nothing is impossible when you are a Rex!

The Lazy Iguana said...

All my cats are just cats. No particular breed. I like the "not shed very much" part. With my critters, there are tumbleweeds of cat hair always roaming about the house.

Honey P. Sunshine said...

molt...like a duck.... and u have down....daisy, i think ur part duck...

miss honey p.

twiga92 said...

ooh, very interesting information! Thanks for sharing!

(Storm & Mocha's mom)

The Meezers or Billy said...

you Devon Rex's sound like you're fun like Meezers!! Oh, and my mommy is yelling "DAISYGETDOWNFROMTHEREBEFOREYOUHURTYOURSELF".

Forty Paws said...

We fownd dis all furry intrestin. We lufs dat u ist so petite. Maw sez u ist pint-sized. Liddle Sally ist 8 lbs. an she ist bigger an u!

Luf, Us

Parker said...

Daisy, you look so very pretty in the mirror! Thank you for the interesting information on your breed. Our house is like the lazy iguana - tumbleweeds of cat hair! Mommy has to clean the floor at least once a day or it looks like a bad western movie around here!

Mr. Hendrix said...

Fun facts Daisy! But lets not tightrope on the stair rail. All the mommies out there will freak out!!!! Very pretty photo of you looking in the mirror.

Oscar the Puppy Cat said...

Daisy, that was very educational! I never knew anything about Devon Rex cats except that they were/are fascinating! Wow, you are a nobel breed and now I'm not so afraid when I see you on the rail of the stairs!

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Oooo, dat wuz furry intresting. So Kirlee wood be like yoor grate, grate, grate, Etc. Grampa! Zippy's all acited cuz she only wayez 6 pounds too. She's furry feroshus fur a little kitty. We don't know anything bout our 'bloodlines' we are all what mom calls 'moggies'. We are happy moggies, tho.

LZ said...

Thanks for sharing! We've really taken a liking to Devon Rex's and maybe someday we'll have on in our family! Your fur just seems amazing.

Kaze

The Crew said...

Daisy, you look a little perturbed dear. Are you upset 'cause your Mom doesn't want you walking up high?

Tara said...

That was really interesting, I didn't know hardly any of that! You and Pixie are very cool kitties.
Tara

Mo and The Purries said...

Daisy: thanks for the great info on Devons! I think that Chloe must've been a Devon Rex in another life, because she's very monkey-like, too! And sometimes I think you two were separated at birth!
Cheers to you for this great list (and for the tribute to you at Skeezix's TT!)

Not The Mama

Katnippia said...

Hi Daisy! We didn't know that about Devon Rex kitties. our meowmize finks that is very interesting. Fanks furz visiting our bloggie. I do hopes Yuki likez my bedroom eyes...Taps

Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy! You are a beautiful kitty. Thanks for sharing some facts about your breed, I learned a lot.

And remember, your mommy is just trying to protect you, not be mean, when she gets after you for climbing high. :)

Monty Q. Kat said...

Be careful up there Daisy! =^..^=

(Thank you for adding me to your side list of furrends!)

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

Daisy, can you give acrobat lessons to my brother? We have open stairs and he keeps falling through and scaring Mommy. I like to climb up on the shower curtain rod to peek in at Mommy. He tries and falls off (he left some holes in the curtain. Bad Riley.).

Tiki

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

I don't fall through. I meant to do that!

Riley

Icon Baxter Bentley said...

That is very interesting information about your breed!
I like your picture with your "hat" on! Cute!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Very interesting Daisy.
You fight most all of those categories. Even though we are totally different shapes, I am like you, very petite. I am 5 1/2 pounds, but Manxies tend to be rounded which I am. Rounded and very muscular back legs. Momma loves to call me her little roly poly. It's OK, I know she says it with pure love.

Abby

Artsy Catsy said...

Now look what you've done, Daisy! Our human is saying, 'I've always wanted a Devon Rex.' I keep telling her NO MORE CATS because I've already got my hands full around here!

Rocky

Louche Tabby said...

...ahem....be careful up there Daisy (with the Kirlee hair!).....

Around Your Wrist said...

you're such an expert! a doctor, a professor, and an historian. such a learned girl. i'm glad that you have skeezix to keep you balanced. a girl's got to have a distraction!

love
--suz

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Once again, furry informative! I did not know that your breed of cat has only been around since the 1960s ...
DMM

The Furry Kids said...

We love that picture of you. Thank you for teaching us about curly cats today. Very interesting stuff.
Love,
Titus, Tazo, & Earl Grey

PS - EG wants to know what time you're coming over to take out his stitches?

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Those are great facts! Meowm especially likes the one about not shedding much.

sammawow said...

Very interesting list you have today. But, we laughed a little at "monkeybones jones". You look so lovely in the mirror.

Purrrs, China Cat & Willow

Forty Paws said...

Oh Daisy!!! We are so sad that you never have open windows and doors!! But you do get to go on stroller walks every morning, and we don't even have a stroller. Uh, dey probably don't make one for 10.

Luf, Us

HRH Yao-Lin said...

DAISY HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU?? GET DOWN FROM THERE!!!!! Honestly, your posts make me shudder !!! You scare me Daisy you acrobatic cat!

xxx

Miss Sara said...

I wonder how I can get curly hairs like you. A perm maybe? You have such pretty devon rex hairs. I'll call it the "devon do."

Bogdan, the editor said...

This was very educational and interesting. You should write a book!

Kat 3 said...

Do you give tightrop lessons? You think Siameezers could do it??

Millie said...

Hi Daisy! I tagged you!

Unknown said...

You look so very pretty in the mirror!!!



●๋: ●๋:
´´´´´●๋: ●๋:
´●๋: ●๋: Luna ●๋: ●๋:
´´´´´ ●๋: ●๋:
´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋:

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Dat looks scary up dare! Devon Rex's sure haf pretty eyes!

Anonymous said...

Daisy, thanks for the notes. I have always wanted a Devon Rex---I love the ears and the way the kitties feel so warm. What a fantastic blog.

Skeezix the Cat said...

I think I mite be a Devon Rex cat becuz #5 is definitly me! #11 is almost like me, but I have a vary long Jimmy Durantey muzzle, not a kyoot petite one like yers.

Daisy said...

Skeezix, I love your Jimmy Durante muzzle!

Jake said...

Daisy, maybe you should pop over to Devon for an English cat holiday by the sea? I'm sure Tibbles would visit your hotel and share some fish & chips with you. Then you could have a wander and try some Devon cream!

Kimo and Sabi said...

Wowy - this is most interesting info about you!

Lilly Lu, Iris and Maxwell Mufsa Millon said...

hay daisy we should go shopping toghter i just got lots of sale cloths they were 2.00 a dress and they even had a spotty one I luff it any way i came over to let you know we tag for a meme you 5 reson why you blog

Just Sharlene and the Spice Cats said...

Oh dear....you are doing that stunt again. You are gonna give mommy a heart attack. I know I'll get a heart attack if the Spice Cats every do that!

Rosie & Cheeto said...

Yer an amasing (can't use the rite lettur cause of a keybord malfunkshun) circus cat! No wondur Skeeix likes to cuddle with yoo, yer supur warm...we wanna cuddle with yoo too!

Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

Hahaha, Monkey Bones Jones. Well your Mama sure loves Monkies and their hats too! You are fantastic Daisy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails