Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Like Gin!

This week is Petfinder.com's Adopt-A-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week, a week dedicated to spotlighting those pets that are most often overlooked in shelters. It's all about getting people to take a second glance -- and give a second chance -- to those pets whose only crime is being a little older, the "wrong" color, or otherwise "less adoptable" -- but who have just as much love to give.
So BlogPaws Be the Change for Pets and I are taking up the cause for the next Be the Change Challenge! We're spreading the word about the many great adoptable pets who sit in shelters for weeks, months, and even years waiting for their forever home while the cute and cuddly kittens and puppies get snapped right up.

So who are these "less adoptable" pets? According to a survey of Petfinder member shelters and rescues the hardest to adopt out pets are senior or older pets, those with health problems (even minor ones), victims of breed prejudice (like Pit Bulls), shy pets, and those that need to be only pets. But that's not all! A lot of people overlook black and brindle dogs and cats as well. (Not convinced? Check Why Less Adoptable Pets Rule.)So next time you or a friend are looking to adopt, give these pets a second chance, a little more time and you never know, a less adoptable pet might just be the purrr-fect pet adoption for you!

Meet Gin! He lives at Cats Exclusive in Margate, FL. That's the same shelter Harley was adopted from! Gin is a handsome tabby and white kitty who has lived at the shelter since October 2007, and he deserves a Forever home. Gin is a little bit shy around new people, which may be why he hasn't yet found his Forever home. But Gin loves people and other cats, and would love to have a family of his own.
Below is a picture of Gin that my Mommeh took when she was a volunteer at Cats Exclusive. Isn't he handsome? He is about 3 years old now. Gin tends to flinch at the approach of hands, so I wonder what might have happened in his past.
Here is a movie I found featuring Gin at Cats Exclusive! You can see how much he loves gentle attention, and you can hear his funny little squeaky voice at the end.


Visit the Cats Exclusive website to learn more about Gin!
Share/Bookmark

55 Notes for Daisy:

i beati said...

Evie was 12 when I brought her home- same for Evigny and handsome- I like the older ones. They are too wise to be in a little house all day. we need their erudite ways in our homes. and they deserve us a lot.they are so very wise..

Sparkle said...

Gin looks like an AWESOME kitty! Boodie is the same way - she cringes when anyone goes to pet her, and it's odd because since my human has known her (which is more than 8 of her 9 years), no one has ever laid a mean hand on her. But it's obvious from the video that Gin loves attention when he knows he is safe! I hope that with your help, he gets a home very soon!

Anonymous said...

I like Gin, too! And what an adorable chirp at the end! He looks a lot like Gandalf's litter mate brother, BooBoo!

Of course I am a sucker for an underdog. Or undercat, as the case may be.

We have no idea how old Whitey is, but he was one messed up baby when Al finally was able to catch him so we could bring him to the Vet.

My Realtor also wound up being my neighbor - he lives a few doors down the street from the Yellow house. The other day when we met to discuss putting my house on the market he asked me how many cats I have now. I told him and he went into the crazy cat lady joke. I told him about Whitey and Gracie. As you probably recall, Whitey came from that neighborhood, the Pecan Orchard... and he said, "Oh, that big white fluffy fella? I remember him. He lived in my drainage ditch."

Yes, that Whitey.

And now Whitey loves every minute of his life, and so do I! Adopting a special needs furbaby is on of the most rewarding thing an animal lover will ever do!

HH and The Boys said...

Gin is so cute. I hope he finds a forever home quick. I'll be purring for him... Great post highlighting what a great pet he is.

Angel Simba said...

That was lovely of you to post about Gin. I do hope he gets a forever home. It would seem as if he would make a sweet pet for the right gentle and patient person.

Poppy Q said...

Ohhh we hope Gin finds a new home, he looks an awesome fellow.

Our local SPCA does a pet of the week, with profiles, that often highlight cats and dogs that have been long time shelter pets, in the hope that they find some people to love.

SeaThreePeeO said...

We home that Gin finds his forever home soon!

Unknown said...

He's gorgeous! i wish i could come to florida and take him home with me, seymour and coco.

you're such a sweetheart for bringing attention to these precious little ones!

good job daisy...et mommeh too!

Karen and Gerard said...

I hope Gin finds a good home. We adopted an 8-yr-old cat who did have some health issues but loved that ca so much. I felt so sorry for him being at the shelter in a little cage for so many months, I just brought him home with me and never regretted it. His name was Moe and we had him 7 years. He looked very much like you, Harley.

The Daily Pip said...

Oh, Gin is just beautiful!! Mama has a thing for older cats and would adopt him in a heartbeat, if she could!!! I hope Gin finds a home soon!!

Your pal, Pip

Marg said...

Gin really is an attractive cat. I love those tabby and white cats. There are tons of cats here that get nervous around strange people but then once they find out the people aren't going to do anything awful to them, they are just fine. Great post. Glad to meet Gin.

Lin said...

Awww, I wish we had more room to take in Gin! I sure hope somebody gives him a good home one of these days.

The Taylor CatSSSSS said...

Gin looks just purrfect. I wish that I had more room here!!! I have a kitty on my blog too, Prince Charming, who is looking for a good home!!

Thank you for helping these babies find forever homes!

Love, Deb

Unknown said...

You are doing a wonderful thing here - many purrs and best success from Fisher and Staff. (Fisher is the one with the purrs)

Honey P. Sunshine said...

oh he iz furry hansum

Dma said...

i like gin too...

Nomi said...

My miemwie would probably be unable to resist all these kitties but she knows that as a rescue cat, my preference is to have her all to myself. Hope you all get a home soon guys, just like I did.

Hannah and Lucy said...

Gin looks such a lovely kittie - we loved his little squeak at the end of the video. We will pray for a loving home for him.

OKcats said...

Gin looks very cool! People just never know what a cat's personality will be once they get them home. I, Zoe, am so much different now than when I lived at the shelter. I was very shy and hid all of the time and when I walked, it was more of a low-to-the-ground scurry. Now, I hardly ever hide and I walk with my tail straight up in the air! And I looooove attention! Meow!

Forever Foster said...

What a gorgeous kitty. We sure are glad there is somewhere wonderful like Cats Exclusive for him to stay while he is waiting for his Forever home.

Chrissie said...

Awwww, what a nice fellow! I wish that every cat had a loving home and that every home would spay/neuter their cat(s). That would be a perfect world.

Wendy said...

Gin is beautiful! I wish we had the room for one more. All of our kitties are rescues. The last 2 we're from an organization called Friends of Pets that rescues adoptable animals from our local shelter so they are not euthanized. I visited a whole home of foster kitties, I wish I could have adopted them all. Momma and Sissy were not my first choice as Momma is a little territorial and we already two older cats. But the organization asked me to try Momma and Sissy - they must have seen something I didn't. Momma and Sissy have been with us ever since.

Raymond and Busby said...

We hope Gin finds a forever home soon. We can never understand why some cats are considered less adoptable than others.

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

Gin is beautiful and so deserves a loving forever home. We hope he finds one soon. Thank you so much for trying to help him.

Admiral Hestorb said...

Gin is a handsome boy and I hope he gets a super loving forever family. I loved hearing his voice. :-)

Anonymous said...

OMC is Gin gorgeous!!! What a little love bug! Mo mthinks he looks like Noir.

Maggie May said...

Best of luck to Gin finding a new, wonderful forever home!!! Everycat deserves to know the love we are all so lucky to have.

Thanks so much for stopping by and celebrating Maggie May Day with me!
♥ Maggie May

BeadedTail said...

We love Gin's cute little nose! We hope he finds a furever home soon. He looks like such a sweetie!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Gin looks like a purrfect cat!

Tammy said...

Daisy - I hope that Gin can be as lucky as you and Harley to find a forever home!!

Your Daily Cute said...

Oh, Daisy! Gin is such a good cat to feature. He is so sweet!

I hope he does get a forever home soon. He is so calm and nice -- he'd make the perfect house cat!

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Awwwwww, Gin is so lovely. We bet meowm would take him in an instant if she could. We will be purring for him to find the best furever home quickly!

absepa said...

Daisy, you're doing a really kind thing...there are many animals who end up staying in shelters for a long time. My doggie Abby had been in the shelter for eight weeks when we saw her on Petfinder. She's a wonderful pet: housetrained, gentle, and loving. We still can't understand why no one had adopted, but we are very glad we were lucky enough to have her come live with us.

Clarissa said...

Oh we do hope that Gin finds his forever home soom. Mom will almost always choose and adult cat over a kitten. She knows that it's much easier to place a kitten in a home so she wants to give that older or adult cat a chance. Me (Clarissa) and Sable are the only kittens mom raised. The rest of them were all a year or older when they came to us.

AFSS said...

Oh what a handsome fellow Gin is he reminds us of Socks with that spot on his nose and the squeaky voice. Shy cats make pawsome pets once they get to know you and feel safe.

We are purring Gin finds a home soon.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Gin is so handsome! I really hope he finds a forever home soon. Thank you for posting on this important topic!!

brokenteepee said...

The publicist is getting very sad about all these kitties. She wants to take them all. But she already has 4. They are all strays except Sherpa who was a shelter cat.

Anonymous said...

It has taken close to 6 years for Miss Frankie LuLu Belle to become a lap cat (she still hates to be picked up). Spending the first 4 or 5 months of your life in a cage kinda has an effect.

Junk Drawer Kathy said...

Another Gin lover here! We adopted an all black cat named Shadow and she is the sweetest kitty ever. She says her fur color isn't so important because "it's all about my eyes, baby!" I hope Gin finds a forever home soon.

Angie, Catladyland said...

Gin looks like a super-sweet kitty! Older kitties may come with some history, but they are always well-seasoned with lots of love to give. Nice post, Daisy!

Shaggy and Scout said...

Scout got up & ran to the window when he heard Gin's voice!!!
We hope he gets a forever home with gentle people soon. He has been at the shelter far too long, but at least he is safe there.

Ann said...

Gin is very handsome and he obviously loves attention. Lets hope that Gin gets as lucky as Harley did in finding such a great home.

The Island Cats said...

Gin sure is a handsome guy!! He's kinda like Ernie...Ernie will flinch when someone goes to pet him. But once he realizes you're okay, he'll love ya up!!

We sure hope Gin finds that furever home. He sure deserves it!!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Gin is lovely. We hope someone soon gives him a forever home. He has been a shelter cat for too long and deserves to have someone to share his love.

Oskar said...

I hope Gin finds her furrever home!

Guess what? My mom person & I have created a new blog at www.PetBlogsUnited.com.

We'd love it if you would come over and check it out & become a member. It's a great new place for pet bloggers to find each other, and get an opportunity to be a featured blog!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

We purr that someone special will invite Gin into their lives!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Gin is a very nice kitty. I am sure he will find the perfect home. we just need to poke that person and tell them about Gin!
bonks for sharing this Daisy and Harley

Two French Bulldogs said...

We hope Gin gets her forever home
Snuggles & snorts,
Benny & Lily

Mickey's Musings said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww!! Gin is so cute. WE love his eyes!! We purr he gets the home he deserves!!!
Purrs Mickey,Georgia & Tillie

Cara n Crew said...

We like Gin too. Thanks for sharing about him, Daisy. We are purring he will find a wonderful forever home soon.

Pip, Smidgen, Minnie

Donna said...

O hai! :) Adoption is really, really good. I was adoptered many, many years ago! I was a senior pet, too. I lived in a shelter in Pinellas County. Then my hooman friends came to get me. Hooray! :) I loved them, and they loved me too. We can't have a kitteh in our house, but I am hoping super a lot that Gin will have a nice good home soon. Bye for now! {{{Gin}}}

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Our purrs for all of them...

Chesney Cats said...

Gin is beautiful!! Mama says too bad we live so far away....

Bella and Ollie said...

Daisy, that is so nice of you to blog about such a worhty cause.
Hope you have a lovely weekend. :)

Love, Bella & Ollie.

JD at I Do Things said...

Oh, sweet Gin! I wanted to give a Forever Home to a mature cat when we were last going through the adoption process, but Dave was adamant about a kitten. I'm glad, of course, because now we have Pru, but next time . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails