Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday Thirteen, Edition #35: Gumby!

After that very bad mistake Gumby and I made last weekend walking into a book on lizards, I thought I should learn some more about Gumby. So, here are 13 things about my friend Gumby:
  1. Gumby was created by Art Clokey in 1953. I never knew Gumby was so old! Because he is still very flexible.
  2. Gumby is green! Just in case you are colorblind. He is green because this was Mr. Clokey's favorite color.
  3. The original Gumby was made of clay and beeswax. The Gumby you can buy in a store now is made of something else though. So if you buy your own Gumby, do not expect to mold him into different shapes.
  4. Gumby first appeared on the Howdy Doody show in 1956. He got his very own series in 1957. I think I would like to be on TV, too.
  5. His sidekick is his pony pal Pokey. Pokey is sometimes skeptical, and he likes to mutter things under his breath when he gets dragged along on Gumby's adventures. I do not know why Pokey gets cranky sometimes when he has a good friend like Gumby! Maybe his horse-shoes are hurting his feet.
  6. Some of Gumby's other pals are Goo and Prickle. Goo can fly! And Prickle is dinosaur. Gumby's parents are named Gumbo and Gumba, and he has a dog named Nopey. Gumby also knows the Blockheads, but they are not nice. The Blockheads are numskulls, and they are always getting into trouble. I do not like the Blockheads very much. Especially Blockhead J.
  7. Gumby was designed with the big lump on the side of his head after a photo of Art Clokey's father as a teenager with a huge cowlick! Here is a picture of Arthur Farrington. Nice hairdo, Mr. Farrington!
  8. Art Clokey likes to call Gumby's funny bump "the bump of wisdom that the Buddhists have." Gumby is very smart. I have two funny bumps on my head. They are called my ears! Hahahahahahaha!
  9. The original Gumbys and Pokeys were made with rolling pins and cookie cutters! But I do not think you could eat them like cookies.
  10. Later on, the clay puppets were made from poured molds.The plasticine disintegrates quickly, so the Gumby animators went through 5 or 6 Gumbys per scene!
  11. Gumby does not walk very often. He likes to glide around on one foot. Do not tell anybody, but this saved many hours of work in the claymation! I really like the funny noise Gumby makes when he glides around. It sounds like this: ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I am not sure I wrote the sound right, because it does not sound like a snore.
  12. Gumby is 7" tall. This means I am taller than Gumby.
  13. The Gumby theme song was made by a musician named Pete Kleinow. Here is how the song goes:
Gumby! He was once a little green slab of clay. Gumby! You should see what Gumby can do today. Gumby! He can walk into any book, with his pony pal Pokey, too. If you've got a heart then Gumby's a part of you.
And finally, I will show you a clip of the opening from the original Gumby show. Since you know the lyrics now, sing along!

ps: I just found out that I was one of the 10 Winners of the 1st Romlet Design Awards!

Share/Bookmark

50 Notes for Daisy:

Parker said...

My Mommy LOVES Gumby. I will have to get a picture taken of me with our Gumby. That's quite a hair do that Mr. Farrington is sporting!

Pulchritude said...

that is such a cute cat. i have a cat too, she's a darling; they are something else.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Thanks for telling us about Gumby. Scylla & Charybdis think he would be fun to play with.

I made a Mornay sauce to go on our fish last night. The humans that live with me didn't like it, but all the cats said it was meowlicious, and I should make it again.

Charybdis is going for a cardic ultra sound after Labor Day, she will be going to a vet school, so I guess she will be able to claim she went to college.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Daisy, thank you for coming by my Mom's blog (Alasandra) and telling us about Pixie.

Does the echo cardigram hurt? Will they have to shave me? I am really getting tired of having my hair shaved (long story). Will I be awake when they do it?

~Charybdis

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Oh my I didn't know all of that about Gumby. Daisy you are so smart.

Purrs
Abby

Tink said...

I had never heard of Gumby, but your friend is impressive!
Thanks for visiting Maia's picture TT!

Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy,

"Wow" that's alot of info about Gumby.Congratulations on your win :)

Anonymous said...

That was some really interesting stuff about Gumby. Mom said she remembers Gumby from when she was little and she had her very own Gumby and Pokey. You are lucky that you have your very own Gumby to play with.

Honey P. Sunshine said...

i'm gumby dammit.....ha ha ha....sorry i used a bad werd

Mosaic Cats said...

As always, Daisy...so interesting and educational! Especially the cowlick part!!!

Super congrats on your Most Pink award. Skeezix is going to be so very proud of that one!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Daisy you got an awardie, we see. You are certainly a recommended read. we think your bloggie is very entertaining and you are quite creative!

We like Gumby too.

Purrs for a happy day to you and PixieBananer

Norma said...

I hadn't thought about Gumby in years. What fun.

http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/08/thursday-thirteen-how-i-spent-my-summer.html

The M's said...

Our bean Mom says that she remembers watching the Gumby Show on tv when she was younger.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Thank you for let me know about Gumby.

Green is michico's favorite color, so she also likes Gumby very much~!

The Crew said...

It's nice to know you're taller than Gumby. Tall is good.

Your friend
Misty

LZ said...

Some people call my Grandma Gumby. He looks like he would be fun to chew on a little.

Kaze

Forty Paws said...

Maw always luffed the Gumby cartoons. She had a Gumby and Pokey when she was little. She doesn't remember that song though. Oh well. She must be getting old timers disease.

Luf, Us

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Concatulashuns on yoo win! I don't know if we're apposta say dis but mom watch Gumby on t.v. when she was a little gerl. She sez thanks fur da grate membries...

Tyler said...

Congratulations on your award, Daisy. You deserve it. Now that my mom is back at work, I can only visit 5 blogs in the morning. I love coming here because you make it so interesting. You deserve that award.

My mom didn't recognize the original gumby introduction. They probably changed it later on when she was a tike, about 10 years later. What memories you've brought up for her, Daisy.

The Meezers or Billy said...

mommy loved Gumby and Pokey when she was a little bean! we think he looks like he'd be fun to chew on. We mean play wif.

Monty Q. Kat said...

I never knew all that about Gumby! My brain feels all full now.

Around Your Wrist said...

that's a great TT, daisy! gumby and pokey are part of my mom's childhood!

ben

Anonymous said...

Here's another bit of Gumby trivia. At the college where my human got her undergraduate degree,they had two large mainframes. The Vax 11-785 (the larger one) was Gumby and the Vax 11-750 (smaller) was Pokey. I believe this means that Gumby was very involved with early computing.

Unknown said...

I wuz injoying yer T13 until yoo got up to the part ware yoo startid singing.

Skeezix the Cat said...

Wow, I can't beeleeve that Gumby is older than Mr TF and the FL: that's OLD!!!!!!

Can I buy a Gumby on the innernets?

Daisy said...

Gumby is older than my Mommie too. But she still remembers watching all his shows on TV. Skeezix, you can get a Gumby on the innernets, but he is not the real Gumby.

Ramses said...

Gosh you know lots about Gumby! You're one smart cat Daisy :)

Jimmy Joe said...

Hey--me and my Momma know the Blockheads too! That was really good research, Daisy.
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

Unknown said...

Wow, this is a very informative post. I did not know most of the information you posted. I only knew about Gumby and Pokey, not the others.

If becoming a doctor or scientist doesn't work out, you can become a researcher!

Unknown said...

Oh Yah - I forgot to congratulate you on your Romlet Design Award! Very impressive!

Lux said...

My favorite part is Mr. Farrington's hairdo!

Now I must go read about your new award - congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I've always loved Gumby and Pokey!

Shaggy and Scout said...

Mom always wondered what the purpose of the thing on his head was.

Milton said...

Con-cat-ulations!!
I always thought you were a winner, now we all know for sure.
---Beezer

Christine and FAZ said...

Wow, I didn't know you had such famous friends Daisy. FAZ

Anonymous said...

We didn't know all that stuff about Gumby, especially the part about the hairdo --- ha ha aha hahaha ha!

Unknown said...

Gumby looks like a really fun toy!

kuanyin333 said...

I especially like #12! Happy TT!

MaoMao said...

Wowie, conCATulashuns on the design award! That's awesome, Daisy! And Gumby looks like he'd be a fun buddy.

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Kimo and Sabi said...

That was some great facts about Gumby. Our favorite clamation characters are Wallace and Grommit...and Mr. Bill (ooooohhhh nooooo) from SNL.

Anonymous said...

That's a really neat list! I always like to learn new things. Gumby is very cute!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn.

Samantha & Mom said...

Our Mom loved Gumby and Pokey when she was younger and she loved your T13!! Said it brought back great memories!! We have missed a lot of posts the last few days, so we will be catching up all weekend!! We missed visiting everyone.(pout) Especially yours!
Your FL furiends,

DaCraftyLady said...

wow Daisy so much interesting stuff on our pal Gumby...I really liked reading all about him... MEow to you girl!!!

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Dat's grate trivia bout Gumby. Fanks fur da info. Hey - owr cousin is named Gumby. He's not green tho so he is not related.

DK & The Fluffies said...

GUMBY! I used to love to watch Gumby! ~DKM

Just Sharlene and the Spice Cats said...

Gumby? Never heard of Gumby. Mmm...don't think we have it in Malaysia.

Tara said...

Mom always liked Gumby too, and he is even older than her! She always thought Mr Bill was Gumby...

Tara

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i always liked gumby and am glad he is still around entertaining my friends like he entertained me so many years ago...

smiles, auntie bee

Anonymous said...

Daisy, you are so good at blogging it's no wonder you get awards. You did a very good job of this T13 post. I never knew so much about Gumby and his friends.

Anonymous said...

Very well done, Daisy. And congratulations on the award! Don't let your mom take all the credit for it!

Now my human is going around humming Gumby's theme and muttering about looking for Davey and Goliath...

Related Posts with Thumbnails