After that very bad mistake Gumby and I made last weekend walking into a book on lizards, I thought I should learn some more about Gumby. So, here are 13 things about my friend Gumby:
- Gumby was created by Art Clokey in 1953. I never knew Gumby was so old! Because he is still very flexible.
- Gumby is green! Just in case you are colorblind. He is green because this was Mr. Clokey's favorite color.
- The original Gumby was made of clay and beeswax. The Gumby you can buy in a store now is made of something else though. So if you buy your own Gumby, do not expect to mold him into different shapes.
- Gumby first appeared on the Howdy Doody show in 1956. He got his very own series in 1957. I think I would like to be on TV, too.
- His sidekick is his pony pal Pokey. Pokey is sometimes skeptical, and he likes to mutter things under his breath when he gets dragged along on Gumby's adventures. I do not know why Pokey gets cranky sometimes when he has a good friend like Gumby! Maybe his horse-shoes are hurting his feet.
- Some of Gumby's other pals are Goo and Prickle. Goo can fly! And Prickle is dinosaur. Gumby's parents are named Gumbo and Gumba, and he has a dog named Nopey. Gumby also knows the Blockheads, but they are not nice. The Blockheads are numskulls, and they are always getting into trouble. I do not like the Blockheads very much. Especially Blockhead J.
- Gumby was designed with the big lump on the side of his head after a photo of Art Clokey's father as a teenager with a huge cowlick! Here is a picture of Arthur Farrington. Nice hairdo, Mr. Farrington!
- Art Clokey likes to call Gumby's funny bump "the bump of wisdom that the Buddhists have." Gumby is very smart. I have two funny bumps on my head. They are called my ears! Hahahahahahaha!
- The original Gumbys and Pokeys were made with rolling pins and cookie cutters! But I do not think you could eat them like cookies.
- Later on, the clay puppets were made from poured molds.The plasticine disintegrates quickly, so the Gumby animators went through 5 or 6 Gumbys per scene!
- Gumby does not walk very often. He likes to glide around on one foot. Do not tell anybody, but this saved many hours of work in the claymation! I really like the funny noise Gumby makes when he glides around. It sounds like this: ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I am not sure I wrote the sound right, because it does not sound like a snore.
- Gumby is 7" tall. This means I am taller than Gumby.
- The Gumby theme song was made by a musician named Pete Kleinow. Here is how the song goes:
Gumby! He was once a little green slab of clay. Gumby! You should see what Gumby can do today. Gumby! He can walk into any book, with his pony pal Pokey, too. If you've got a heart then Gumby's a part of you.And finally, I will show you a clip of the opening from the original Gumby show. Since you know the lyrics now, sing along!
ps: I just found out that I was one of the 10 Winners of the 1st Romlet Design Awards!