Monday, September 10, 2007

More about Daisy's home...

I have showed you some funny pictures of the lizards, birds, snakes, turtles and even scary alligators that live near my home. I want to show you why these crazy animals live by me. First let's study a map to see where Florida lives: This is a bird's-eye view of my home. (I do not know the name of the bird who was looking at my home from this high. Sorry.) You can see that I live right on the very edge of the Florida Everglades! Everything to the left of my development is the Everglades. I think left is the same as west. We are less than a mile away!
Here is an even more close-up picture. See those wavy lines? Those are the sidewalks where I go strollering! Sometimes airboats drive along in the water. I do not like them, because they are very loud.
Many interesting things live in the Everglades, and sometimes they visit my home. Here is another funny bird I saw in my backyard. I think he might be some kind of wood stork, but I am not sure. He was too busy fishing to talk to me.
Do any funny birds or animals visit you in your backyard?
Share/Bookmark

63 Notes for Daisy:

Parker said...

Daisy, youe wild life is waaaay wilder than mine. Black squirrels is about as wild as it gets here. I sure wish Mommy would take the gazillion hints I've given her and get a stroller for me. She says she gets a new camera first...

Poppy Q said...

Wow it looks like you live somewhere very special. Do you live near Dr Troy and Dr other one?

Come visit me later and I will show you the birdie that visits me.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

We have a lot of finches! they are noisy happy birdies. Blue birds of course... they are very special. we love watching them from the window!

Florida looks like it would be a wildlife paradise!
Aren't satellite maps the coolest thing?!

happy day to Pixie and Daisy!

Mickey's Musings said...

We don't have any airboats here,but I don't think I would like them either.I sometimes hear what Mom calls jetskis on the lake.They are loud enough for me, and I'm on my screened porch.

Unknown said...

Man, Ohio is such a boring place to live compared to Florida. We don't have anything interesting to look at around here. Just plain old birds and squirrels.

Honey P. Sunshine said...

we have sack-a-tomato squirlies and duck, the duck poop all over the place

Sarge Charlie said...

You are the funny bird daisy, we have humming birds, red headed woodpeckers and owls

Sarge Charlie said...

oh, I forgot, wild turkeys, they are bigger than you

The Meezers or Billy said...

no we wish that we hadded inneresting animals visit us in the back yard -all we haf is the Dutchess, the boxer dog that lifs next door

The M's said...

We found a really strange bug at the younger beans grandparents house Saturday. They are taking it to school today.

Laura said...

That was very enjoyable, Daisy!
What an interesting part of the country you have chosen to call home.
In our back yard here (which adjoins national forest land), we have bunnies, squirrels, snakes, turtles, lizards, ONE BIG RACCOON (just once...Leah took him on hard!), and one fox. A beautiful red fox came just twice, the weekend that Walter died! That was interesting.

Mosaic Lady googled "fox kills cats" to see if they were a predator for us and she decided to not chance it. That was the weekend she stopped throwing the uneaten dog and cat kibble outside for "the birds". Oh no. That was after the RACCOON visit. She's a slow learner.

Dma said...

Looks like a great place to live. Hope posting the map doesn't lead to more peeping Tom lizards who now know where you live.

We don't have as interesting visitors in our backyard- mostly robins, rabbits and squirrels (and an occasional neighboring cat).

Forty Paws said...

We have those tiny geckos that we told you about earlier, and remember the opossum we caught when we were trying to catch Orinch? And we have the prairie falcon that hangs around our bird feeder waiting for a free handout. And we have regular birds of all kinds. We have tons of mourning doves that we unfortunately fatten up so that they can fly about 2 miles from here and get shot now that it is dove season. Bummer.

Luf, Us

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

Wow Daisy, your home is so green and ... watery! It looks so exotic and warm. Wish I could visit!

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

I like seeing where you live, Daisy, but some of your animals are scary, like those alligators!

We have Vishus Deer visit us, and gentle Humming Birds! We don't have a video, but Lisa from No Jumping From The Bridge came over this weekend and she did a video!

~ Timothy

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Thank you for introducing your place~! I think I will introduce mine these days~!!!

After all, we are a big family~!
As you know, I leave in high building, so, no backyard, but I really like seeing so many kinds of birds and animal around you~!

Especially the snakes~~ Oah, it's really scared me~!!!

HRH Yao-Lin said...

daisy I think you are very very lucky to live near such wildlife. The only wildlife I have in my garden are some slugs. I used to have a red squirrel in my old garden but we moved house. I think you are really lucky to live in such a wonderful place!x

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

You live in a very beautiful place, Daisy! The wildlife that visits my tiny backyard is a lot tamer than the wildlife in yours. I have squirrels and birds visit my yard, but the birds are just small songbirds. When I go to the park, I see lots of ducks and some sheep, but that's the extent of it!

The Crew said...

Here in Whisk-onsin we see lots of different birdies and bunnies, squirrels, racoons, & deers. But the oddest thing we've seen is an opposum. It looked sort of like a giant mousie with a bald, pink tail.

The Cat Realm said...

Hahahahahahahahahahah Daisy - after I clicked on commenting on your beautiful home I saw your post about raising a Penguin - that made me laugh soooo hard that my head really hurts again.... Hatching a Penguin - only you could come up with something crazy like that!
And you know of course that many animals visit my backyard. A lot of them dangerous. But some are funny - you inspired me to post about one of them, so I won't tell who it is for now... i will let you know when I put that post up!
Karl

Icon Baxter Bentley said...

Hi Daisy & Pixie!!!

We have a family of squirrels that visit us. They have a very tall tree as their home. It is right outside of my home! Sometimes there is a skunk. I have not ever seen him, but he lets us know he is there!!

purrs and headbutts,
Icon

LZ said...

When the LL drove by your town in February she though it was so cool that you are close to the Everglades. I like your area, it is very very interesting!

Kaze

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Daisy

We have had a bunch of army-dill-O's come and visit us. They are not furry attractive looking critters. In fact they don't even have any furrs at all.

Purrs
Abby

Team Tabby said...

We loved seeing the pictures of your home and all the interesting creatures near your yard. We had a racoon visit us this weekend. It had the nerve to come up onto our deck, yikes. Mom got a picture of it.

your northern friends,
Moe & Mindy

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Oh Daisy, we haf nothing as intristing as yoo do. Racoons, skwirrels, a fox dat made her den in a furry odd place and den moved wif her kits, possems, rabbits (dey eat moms garden) garter snakes, birdies...our favorite is da cardinal dat has a nest in da tree by our garage. Mr. Cardinal sings a furry nice song in da spring when he is waiting fur Mrs. Cardinal to hatch da eggs. It must be furry intrising to see all dat wildlife.

Lisa said...

Hi Daisy! We do get some wild animals in our yard - possums, raccoons, possibly even coyotes and more. We usually only see the hummingbirds these days. My parents live northwest of Orlando and have a wetland behind their house. You can hear the alligators out there sometimes. They also have funny looking birds (some sort of endangered species whose name escapes me now). Thank you for the neat info and pictures of your part of the world!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy,

It's very beautiful where you live :)

Skeezix the Cat said...

The berd is ginormous!!!! Is it vishus????

Anonymous said...

Daisy, you live in a nice place. My human like seeing all the golf courses near you.

I hear Florida is trying to revive the Everglades. The good part is more pretty birds and furry things. Downside is: more alligators! Be careful!

Icon Baxter Bentley said...

I forgot to ask you if you will be making a tribute to 9/11 victims tomorrow? If you did not have one in mind, i would like to suggest Project 2,966 http://www.project2996.com/blog/

Shaggy and Scout said...

Ummm...Daisy.....We hear that when the stork visits...ummm.....well......ask your momma.

Twizzler, Jack, Fwankwin, and Gracie said...

your wildlife is furry interstin' - even the ones that don't have fur!

the most excitin' thing we have is a skunk that walks with a limp. my mom thinks he's cute.

that so for the furry nice comment you left on my bloggie!

Twizzler, Jack, Fwankwin, and Gracie said...

oops - i meant to say "thank you so much . . ." - i think i need to go take a nap!

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

I live close to water, but not as much as you do! I only have ducks, pigeons, cats and woofies around my place. You get really interesting (and skeery) critters around your place!

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Way cool, Daisy! We want to live in Florida too. We loved your strolling video!!!

Laila and Lilly

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you are furry brave to lif next to all those scairy animals honey!! wow that is really scairy. i haf squirrels but they don't do much harm to kitties i don't think...

smiles, auntie bee

Karen Jo said...

My town is surrounded by forest, so I have some interesting animals come to visit, too. We have vishus deer, coyotes, skunks, mice, lizards, snakes, gophers (they live next door) and racoons, mostly. Bears sometimes come into town in the fall to visit the fruit trees, but I have never seen one. We also get lots of different kinds of birds.

Mr. Hendrix said...

wow, what a neat spot you live in Daisy. I get lotsa birds, Vishus Deer (ack!), racoons, possums and stuff like that. I've seen a ginormous Heron a couple times fishing in the creek behind our house. that is a BIG bird. Like the one in your picture.

Jimmy Joe said...

Hey, Daisy--did you ask that stork if he had any extra fishies? I wish there were fish in my yard. We just got the normal stuff. I showed you a vole, though! They're pretty cool.
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

Samantha & Mom said...

Wow, we didn't realize you lived near the Everglades! Cool! We get wild ducks and their babies, possums (looks like a big rat to us), moles, hummingbirds, bees and wasps, frogs when it rains, a turtle or two and a few male cats that try to take over Tigger's turf, but he chases them off. He says he's protecting me from them. He is a sweetie! No wonder Trixie loves him!!!
Your FL furiends,

Unknown said...

Wow Daisy, I did not know that you live so close to the Everglades! You have lots of interesting animals around your house. Around my house we have lots and lots of Quail and some ducks and different kinds of birds. That is about all that comes close to my house, although a couple of months ago my Mum took a picture of a DEER in our neighbours yard! I don't care to have Vishus Dear that close to my house!

MaoMao said...

Wowie, Daisy! You live in a wunnerful place. Florida looks furry bee-yootiful and there are all kinda inneresting critters fur you to study!

We Ballicai live in East Tennessee, kinda in the country, so we have quite a few critters around our housie, too. There are skuirrels and possums and rackoons and moles and chimpmunkies and lots and lots of birdies... and sumetimes VISHUS DEER!!!! (EEEK!)

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how neat that you live so close to the Everglades! So beautiful. And what fascinating creatures you have close by. We have lots of creatures around here, too, but not quite so exotic as yours. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn.

EastPAWZ said...

This has to be the nicest page devoted to kitties I have seen.. really great blog made here :-)

DK & The Fluffies said...

We have a squillion birds plus a ton of raptors like hawks, owls and eagles. You can see our owls by visiting, The Owl Cam

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Nice "bird's eye view," Daisy. If I were to have a "bird's eye view" of my house, it'd be all bouncy 'cuz the birdies by my house are hummingbirds ...
DMM

zevo hussein calamari said...

Cool pic Daisy. Thanks so much. We only have drunk squirrels and skunks in our back yard.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Thank you for telling us about the Everglades Daisy. It looks like a really nice place to live. Mommy started a new blog telling all about our state it's called Roll on Mississippi.

We saw a big spider, Mommy wouldn't let us make friends with it she said it might bite. We also have tons of lovebugs. We tried to ask them politely not to drown in our water bowl, but they won't listen to us. We also have lots of birds & butterflies. We made friends with a mockingbird, he likes to tease us.

Mommy & Lord Epa are going to the Pascagoula River Audubon Center Thursday, they are going to ride in a boat, and Mommy said they might see an alligator. She said we can't go. I think that is mean since we help Lord Epa with his school work.

Mommy looked at the Drinkwell site, they have a pretty pink one that reminded us of you. We are going to ask her to get that for us for Christmas. Socks said it would be OK, since we have blue food bowls.

Scylla & Charybdis

Anonymous said...

oh Daisy you have a beautiful home, I meoww the arial pics...

christy said...

Mom would love to keep Pickle, but she thinks her friend (the one she found him with) will want to keep him, and since Turtle doesn't really like visitors, she guesses it's better that way.

As far as funny animals in our yard, we get lots of 'possums, armadillos, and skunks. Plus the regular stuff like squirrels and bunnies.

Just Ducky said...

Mum was looking at where we lived from the hawk eye view. It looks strange to me.

Donny and Marie and Casey said...

You live in a VERY neat place!! We only get audacious squirrels and Mr. Pigeon to come and visit us.

~Donny and Marie

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Oh dat's a wonderful place to live - full of some of the best wildlife on earth. It must be great to see all dose kinds of birdies and fings. Just make shure yur careful of dem allygators.

Katnippia said...

Hi Daisy!
We gets neat animals in our house too. I finks the wildest one we got was the non-venimous snake. I finks it was a banded water snake. I could be wrong. It sure gave our meowmzie a panic attack.
Purrss..Siamia

The Devil Dog said...

Oh Daisy, I live in a very boring place, compared to you. Plus everything arounf here is brown right now because we have hardly had any rain. I think living next to the everglades must be cool. as long as nothing comes out and tries to get you.

Kimo and Sabi said...

We gots lots of birdies around our house...some of da geeses are even from Canada! WE likes learning about yer house. Do you gots any mountain lions? We gots them at our house...that's why we can't go outside unsupervised or wifout a stroller.

Lux said...

All we've got are things like centipedes and such ... you live in a much more interesting place!

P.S. Pixie can definitely have a nanner!

Gigolo Kitty said...

Link added!

Anonymous said...

You have a very interesting back yard, Daisy!!

When we lived in the country surrounded by woods, we had possums, armadillos, rabbits, smakes, wolf spiders, lizards, bugs of all kinds, cicadas (boy are they LOUD!!), deer, wild turkeys, and the biggest grasshoppers you ever saw in our yard. And lots and lots of birds. Every now and then, there would be hawks flying around overhead. One morning, there were 9 deer out there together, and another day there were 12 cows. They got out of their fence down the road and came by our house to eat grass! One day, a cow showed up all by herself. She hung around eating grass for a couple of days, then she disapeared. The next day, she came back with her new little baby calf!! He was so cute! But their owner finally came and got them and took them home.

Now that we live closer to town, we don't have quite as many animals around. The neighbor down the street looked out his back window one morning and saw a buffalo in his yard. Another fence escapee. We can hear cows and horses and donkeys from down the road and also we can hear coyotes howling at night. There are deer and quail and doves and sparrows and hummingbirds and mockingbirds. We like them cause they sing all of the other birds' songs! There are skunks around, too, since we can smell them from time to time. Some hawks and egrets fly around and we have lots of geese that fly over in huge Vs. We don't have any trees in the yard and nothing planted around the house, so we don't have any squirrels to watch, but hopefully we don't have any snakes hiding anywhere either! Our neighbor cat, Pretty Boy, is around our house most of the time, so he keeps the yard clear of any intruders, but he does bring dead things onto the porches every now and then. Makes Mom gag.

You and Pixie have a great day!!

MamaCat & the FurryPurries
Ozzy, Alice, Bootsie & Freckles

Tara said...

Wow, such neat animals! The most exciting thing I've done around here lately is chase an oppossum up a fence!
Tara

Starbuck and Torrey said...

That's amazing! The only thing we see out of our window are buildings, buildings and more buildings! But we did see a cow on the side of the road scratching his eye with his back leg yesterday! Unbelievable! First cow I have ever seen in Hong Kong!

mister jeter harris, hizself said...

deer daisy,
in mi backyard we get a ohkayshunal raccoon annz vizit frum da jeterbird.
yer backyard iz much more intrestin!
luv--jh

Gretchen said...

Oh, I like where you live. It looks very pretty there. Lots of water and interesting animals.

I have lots of birds that come to the bird feeder. Just today my bean got a picture of the big Pacific Jay that takes a bath everyday. He's very loud, though.

Please tell your beans for me that I wish them Happy Anniversary. They had a pretty place to celebrate.

Hugs...G

Related Posts with Thumbnails